You don’t have to watch My Big Fat Greek Wedding to wish that you could be a part of Greek culture. When you hear Greek last names, it is pretty easy to tell where someone is from. The following list of common Greek last names and their meanings is perfect if you want to find a Greek last name for your alter ego or for a character in a story. These names range from extremely common to more unusual options, so there are plenty of surnames to pick from.
100 Common Greek Last Names and Their Meanings
1. Selinofoto: In Greek, this name means moonlight.
2. Adamos: In Greek, this means son of Adam.
3. Papamichael: This Greek name is said to mean the son of the priest, Michael.
4. Lykaios: This is a Greek name derived from a Greek word that means wolf.
5. Andino: This surname means manly.
6. Manikas: This Fgreek surname is what you call a person who makes handles.
7. Galanis: This is a surname for someone who has pale blue eyes.
8. Chloros: This Greek surname means green.
9. Artino: This is a habitational name that was once given to someone from the city of Arta.
10. Christodoulopoulos: This means a descendant of Christ’s servant.
11. Balaska: This is the feminine form of Balaskas.
12. Balaskas: This is the masculine version of Balaska.
13. Gataki: This Greek name means kitten.
14. Aetós: This name means eagle in Greek.
15. Christoforou: In Greek, this name is a variation on the name Christophoros.
16. Ganas: This is a Greek name for people who work as a coppersmith.
17. Andreou: This name is actually a variation on the name Andreas.
18. Gavril: This is a given name in Greek.
19. Mandrapilias: You hear this name a lot in and around Sparta.
20. Danielopoulos: This Greek surname means son of Daniel.
21. Papatonis: This one of the cooler sounding Greek names.
22. Diamantopoulos: In Greek, this surname means son of Diamanto.
23. Servopoulos: This Greek name actually means a descendant of a Serb.
24. Angelopoulos: This name comes from the name Angelos, which means angel.
25. Papazoglou: In Greek, this name means son of the priest.
26. Diakos: Diakos means deacon.
27. Sideris: This name is said to mean “May the child grow to be as strong as iron is.”
28. Dimitropoulos: This is from the given name of Dimitrios.
29. Hatzis: In Greek, this is a variation on the name Hatzi.
30. Laskaris: This surname is for a type of soldier.
31. Matthias: This is asurname that comes from the Greek version of Matthew.
32. Nomikos: This Greek surname means relating to law.
33. Pappas: This name is said to mean priest.
34. Samaras: In Greek, Samaras is a term for a saddle maker.
35. Tsitak: This name means God.
36. Alexandropoulos: In Greek, this means the son of Alexandros.
37. Zika: In Greek, this name is shorter version of the name Zikmund. Unfortunately, it is also the name of a type of virus now as well.
38. Vasilakis: This Greek surname is made from the first name, Vasilis.
39. Angelos: In Greek, this means angel.
40. Savas: In Greek, this name actually means the sabbath.
41. Pavlides: This is a surname that means son of Pavlos.
42. Christoyannopoulos: This surname’s meaning is descendant of John and Christ.
43. Onasis: In Greek, this means lover.
44. Economos: In Greek, this surname is for someone who manages a property or serves as a steward.
45. Matthiou: This Greek surname means son of Matthias.
46. Chronis: In Greek, this means the time or year.
47. Leos: This surname is a variation of the name Leon.
48. Konstantinopolites: This is a given name for a person who comes from Constantinople.
49. Iraklidis: This Greek name means son of Herakles.
50. German: This name actually means German and usually represents a German immigrant.
51. Doukas: This Greek surname means duke.
52. Moralis: Originally, this name came from the Spanish last name, Morales.
53. Martinos: This last name comes from the English surname, Martin.
54. Kouris: This is a Greek surname for a person who lives in a forest.
55. Othonos: This Greek name comes from the name, Otto.
56. Papachristodoulopoulos: This surprisingly long name means a descendant of the priest and a servant of Christ.
57. Remis: This is a Greek surname that comes from a medieval first name.
58. Konstantinou: This is from the first name, Konstantinos.
59. Scala: In Greek, this name can mean steps, ladder or wharf.
60. Yiannopoulos: In Greek, this name means son of Yianni.
61. Thanos: This is a surname that means immortal.
62. Georgopoulos: This Greek surname is a variation on the name Georgios.
63. Rosi: This is a surname that comes from a feminine first name, Rosa.
64. Papadiamantopoulos: This is a Greek name for someone who is a descendant of the diamond priest.
65. Ariti: This name can mean approachable, friendly or generous.
66. Panagos: This Greek name means all holy.
67. Kyriakou: This is actually a Cypriot surname.
68. Dimitriadis: This Greek name means son of Dimitris.
69. Masalis: You will often here this name in Cyprus.
70. Hatzi: This name is given to someone who has successfully finished a pilgrimage.
71. Nephus: Nephus is such a beautiful name. It means a god’s son who will also become a god.”
72. Levidis: This is a Greek surname that means son of Levi.
73. Alexopoulos: This is a variation on the first name, Alexious.
74. Michail: In Greek, this surname came from the name of the archangel, Michael.
75. Persopoulos: This surname is said to mean a descendant of a Persian.
76. Filo: In Greek, this is a variation on the name Filip.
77. Stefanopoulos: This is a Greek name that means son of Stefan.
78. Zafeiriou: In Greek, this is for the son of Zafeiris.
79. Danielos: In Greek, this name is said to mean son of Daniel.
80. Voulgaropoulos: This is a surname that means descendant of a Bulgarian.
81. Theodoropoulos: This Greek last name means son of Theodoros.
82. Katopodis: This is a common Greek last name.
83. Petrakis: This is one of the more common Greek last names. It is a variation on the name Peter.
84. Michalidis: In Greek, this name means son of Michael.
85. Diamandis: This Greek surname means diamonds.
86. Louis: This name comes from the first name, Louis.
87. Xiphias: This Greek name means swordfish.
88. Mikos: In Greek, this surname is a variation on the name, Nicholas.
89. Dukakis: This is a Greek name for someone who is the son of the Duke.
90. Pantazis: In Greek, this name means live forever or always live.
91. Stephanopoulos: This surname is for someone who is the son of Stephan.
92. Markopoulos: This Greek last name is for someone who is the son of Mark.
93. Kazan: This is a name for someone who makes cauldrons.
94. Rousopoulos: This is a Greek surname for someone of Russian descent.
95. Loukanis: In Greek, this name is often a nickname for a sausage maker or a butcher because it means sausage.
96. Nikolaou: This is a Greek name for someone who is the son of Nikolaos.
97. Angelis: In Greece, this surname is a variation on the name Angelos.
98. Matsouka: In Greek, this surname means bat.
99. Frangopoulos: This Greek surname means a descendant of a Frank. The Franks were a group of people in Europe.
100. Tsaoussis: In Greek, the name comes from a word meaning peacock.