Need a bit of mental exercise? Riddles are a great way to practice your reasoning skills. Like any other muscle in the body, the brain also needs some exercise to continue to function well.Need a bit of mental exercise? Riddles are a great way to practice your reasoning skills. Like any other muscle in the body, the brain also needs some exercise to continue to function well.
However, if you’re strapped for time and just need a few mind benders, don’t worry because these riddles don’t require any calculation! So you can relax in the thought that these riddles only need the simplest of answers (though we might not be able to say the same about the way you should be thinking when trying to answer).
Below are some mind-bending riddles that only require a bit of common sense to answer! Try to think hard before reading the answers!
1. A clerk in the butcher shop is 5’10” tall. What does he weigh?
2. A doctor gives you three pills telling you to take one every half hour. How long would the pills last?
3. A farmer has 17 sheep; all but 9 die. How many are left? 9
A man builds a house rectangular in shape. All sides have southern exposure. A big bear walks by. What color is the bear? Why? White. It is at the North Pole.
4. A woman gives a beggar 1 dollar and 32 cents; the woman is the beggar’s sister, but the beggar is not the woman’s brother. How come?
The beggar is her sister.
5. Before the Mount Everest was discovered, what was the highest mountain in the world?
Mt. Everest was still the highest mountain even before it was discovered!
6. Divide 30 by 1/2 and add 10. What is the answer?
7. Do they have a 4th of July in England?
Yes. Everyone has a July 4th.
8. How far can a dog run into the woods?
Halfway. Then it’s running out of the woods.
9. How many animals of each sex did Moses take on the ark?
None. Moses didn’t have an ark. Noah did.
10. How many animals of each species did Adam take with him on the ark?
None, Noah took the animals on the ark, not Adam.
11. How many birthdays does the average man have?
12. How many outs are there in an inning?
13. How many times you can subtract the number 5 from 25?
Once. After the first calculation, you will be subtracting 5 from 20, then 5 from 15, and so on.
14. How many two cent stamps are there in a dozen?
15. I have two U.S. coins with a total of 55 cents. One is not a nickel. What are the coins?
A 50 cent piece and a nickel. Only one is not a nickel.
16. If there are 3 apples and you take away two, how many do you have?
17. If there are fifteen crows on the fence and the farmer shoots a third of them, how many are left?
None. They all fly away after hearing the shots.
18. There are five oranges in a basket. How will distribute the oranges to five people, such that one orange is still in the basket?
Distribute 1 orange each to the four people. And then give the fifth orange together with the basket to the last person.
19. There once was a lady who really liked pink. In her cozy, little one-story house, everything was pink. Even her dog was pink. Her hair, her carpet, everything. What color are her stairs?
She didn’t have stairs. It was one story.
20. There was an evergreen tree in the dark, ugly forest where ghosts, witches, and even Frankenstein lived. All of the sudden, a great gust of wind flew through the forest. Which way did the leaves on the tree fall?
It is a pine tree. It doesn’t have leaves.
21. Two men play five games of checkers. Each man wins the same number of games. There are no ties. Explain this.
They were playing with different people.
22. Two mothers and two daughters were fishing. They managed to catch one big fish, one small fish, and one fat fish. Since only three fish were caught, how is it possible that they each took home a fish?
The fishing party consisted of three people – a grandmother, a mother and a daughter. The mother is both a mother and a daughter.
23. What is the beginning of eternity, the end of time, the beginning of every end, and the end of every place?
24. What is the easiest way to throw a ball, have it stop, and completely reverse direction after travelling a short distance?
Throw the ball straight up.
25. What was the president’s name in 1990?
Donald Trump. Same as it is now.
26. Why can’t a man living in the U.S. be buried in Canada?
He can’t be buried if he isn’t dead.
27. Why is it against the law for a man living in North Carolina to be buried in South Carolina?
Because he is still living.
28. What gets wetter the more it dries?
29. Bob’s father has four children. The first three are Momo, Meme, and Mumu. What is the name of the fourth child?
30. Your mother’s brother’s only brother-in-law is asleep on your couch. Who is asleep on your couch?
31. A man digs a hole 2 feet wide by 3 feet deep by 5 feet long at a rate of 5 holes per day. How much dirt is in each of the holes in total after 3 days?
There’s no dirt in the hole.
32. If you have only one match and you walked into a room where was an oil burner, a kerosene lamp, and a wood burning stove, which one would you light first?
33. If you were to put a coin into an empty bottle and then insert a cork into the neck, how could you remove the coin without taking out the cork or breaking the bottle?
Simply push the cork into the bottle and shake the coin out.
34. A man commits suicide by hanging in a room with no furniture. The ceiling is 10 feet high, and the rope tied around his neck is hangs one foot down. There are no people to help him, but there is water on the floor. How did he do it?
He used a giant block of ice to step on before hanging himself.
35. Is it legal for a man to marry his widow’s sister?
No, because he is dead.
36. Some months have 31 days; how many have 28?
All of them have at least 28 days.
37. A man is looking at a photograph of someone, and a friend asks who it is. The man replies, “Brothers and sisters, I have none, but that man’s father is my father’s son.” Who was in the photograph?
The man’s son.
38. I always run but never walk. I often murmur but never talk. I have a bed but don’t sleep, and I have a mouth but never eat. What am I?
39. I am more powerful than God and more evil than the devil. The poor have me, and the rich need me. If you eat me you will die. What am I?
40. The day before yesterday I was 20. Next year I will be 23. What day is my birthday?
December 31. I just turned 21, and on my birthday this year I will turn 22. Therefore next year, I will turn 23.
Which of these riddles got you thinking a little too hard? Share them with us below!