Conversation starting comes naturally to some, while for others it is a never ending struggle. We understand that it isn’t easy to just talk to whoever you want, whenever you want. That is exactly what we are here to help with! We have a ton of hilarious conversation starters below that can help you break the ice for any situation. It does not matter if you are needing something to talk to your crush for the first time with or if you are simply just trying to make friends at a get together. We have it all! Never find yourself starting a conversation off terribly again. Just use one of the hilarious starters below and you will be golden. But before you head into those, let’s go over some important tips to help you be smooth as ever when talking to others.
Conversation Starting Tips
Be Confident: The number one thing you need when starting a conversation with anyone, at anytime? Confidence. Confidence is the golden key to all things in life. Whether you are just meeting someone important or heading into a blind date, you need confidence to succeed in any conversation. If you come off as weak, so will your conversation. This will make people shy away from you. Keep yourself poised and assured at all times. Go into every conversation and own it with all you have! Don’t let your fear show. Keep your head held high, your shoulders pulled back and your chest pushed forward. These are all things that will help you to appear confident when approaching someone.
Speak Clearly: We know that when you are nervous it may not be the easiest to be clear in your words, but we promise it is necessary to get a good start to any conversation that you have. Enunciate your words and speak them as well as you can. Even if it is hard for you just try to do your best! Not putting effort in is always a terrible idea.
Laugh: You can’t stay super serious if you are trying to pull off a funny conversation starter, that’s for sure! You need to go into it with a smile attached to your face and a chuckle awaiting release. Saying it too seriously will make the funny in the starter fall extremely flat. You will definitely not get any laughs. No matter how silly it seems you just have to go with it. If you can’t laugh at it, why would the person you are talking to want to laugh at all?
Why Some People Have A Hard Time Creating Convo
Not everyone has an easy time talking to others. For some it really is a terrible struggle. Why? There’s a few reason we can walk you through to help you better understand.
Anxiety: Anxiety affects a large portion of the population. That doesn’t necessarily mean there is anything wrong with the person, but that they just have a hard time talking to other people.
Shyness: Shyness plagues people as well. They might not be anxious, but they still have a hard time making themselves approachable or approaching other people without a constant fear running through their entire body. They may just be too nervous to start a conversation.
Fear: People get rejected every day for stupid stuff. This might give instill a deep seeded fear of rejection within them. Which makes it hard for them to build conversations with other people surrounding them. They’d rather just avoid it than get rejected once again.
Funny Conversation Starters
- What are things that you should not say at your own wedding?
This will get both of you laughing your butts off in record time. We promise.
- I bet you can’t make me laugh! Do you know any funny jokes?
The best way to start a conversation? By challenging them to a joke duel of course!
- What is your most embarrassing moment?
A smile will be on both of your faces when this conversation starter is asked.
- When a cow laughs, does milk come out of its nose?
All we can say is LOL to this one!
- If you ate pasta and antipasti during the same meal, would you still be hungry?
Jokes are funny all the time! Don’t you agree?
- Two peanuts walk into a bar. One was a salted (assaulted).
Who said you have to be serious when you start a convo with someone new? No one. No one said it at all.
- If you were in a circus, what would your job be?
Get creative with your conversation and ask this out of the box question.
- Tell me about something that made you laugh this week.
Maybe neither of you have been having the best day and reminiscing about the good things of the week will lighten the mood.
- What are some things that you shouldn’t say when receiving a gift?
Okay, this is totally setting you both up for some major laughing.
- What is the worst advice that you got that you actually listened to?
Surely there are a lot of people who have given you both bad advice. We foresee a long conversation after asking this starter.
- If you had an imaginary friend, what would his/her name be?
Okay, so you might be too old to have imaginary friends. But it is still a fun topic to touch on.
- What’s the worst thing you can say on a first date?
We are positive that you both have had your share of bad first dates. There’s no way either of you will be silent on the subject!
- I was always told not to talk to strangers, but hey you don’t look all that scary!
A good way to introduce yourself to a stranger.
- Excuse me, I think it’s about time we met one another.
Can you think of any smoother way to start a conversation with someone? We can’t.
- Hey, you don’t know how much a polar bear weighs do you? I think just about enough to break the ice. Hi, I’m ___.
If this isn’t a great way to break the ice then nothing truly is.
- If it’s really hot, “It’s so hot in here, my sweat started sweating.”
An observational way to start a conversation with anyone you encounter.
- If it’s really early in the morning, “It’s so early that the sun hasn’t even gotten up yet.”
Another observational conversation starter. Perfect for non-morning people.
- If it’s really cold, say, “It’s so cold that I chipped a tooth on my soup.”
A chilly day calls for this hilarious convo starter!
- Wouldn’t we look cute on a wedding cake together?
This is a great conversation starter to use if you have a crush on the person you are starting the conversation with.
- If you were a booger, I would pick you first.
A cute, yet very dorky, way to talk to someone that you have feelings for.
- Yell, “Titanic!” Then say, “Sorry, that was a bad ice breaker. Let me try again.”
If this doesn’t make someone laugh out loud then they are probably pretty dead inside.
- Are you a bank loan? Because you have my interest.
Perfect to use on someone that you have a crush on anytime of the day. They will certainly get a giggle out of it we hope.
- What is the most embarrassing thing that you have ever done?
This conversation could start with this and never end, because we have all done a ton of embarrassing things in the past.
- What do you think you will look like when you are old?
A great way to get someone talking to you is asking them about the future.
- Children say the weirdest stuff, don’t they?
This conversation starter might inspire them to talk about all the silly things that they have heard kids say.
- Oh my god, is that a bird or plane!?!
Even if there isn’t a bird or a plane, it will get the person’s attention focused on you.
- What’s the stupidest movie that you have ever seen?
There’s no way you will run out of things to talk about when you ask this question!
- What is your guiltiest pleasure?
Don’t deny it, we all have one… Or more!
- What is your spirit animal!
Even if they have never thought about this before now is a good time to get thinking about it. It’s definitely a more interesting topic to discuss.