If there’s one gift that never goes out of style, it’s the gift of heartfelt words in the form of a letter. Letters are such a personal gift, and you can only give them to people who really mean a lot to you.
Even if you’re not much of a letter writer, it’s still a good idea to try. It’s much more personal and heartfelt than any gift that you can buy with money. So if your daughter is about to celebrate a special occasion – a birthday, her wedding, or the birth of your grandchild – give her a piece of your heart by writing her a sincere letter that tells her how much you love her.
Below are some samples of letters you can write for your daughter.
1. To my dear daughter. As you grow older, I want you to fly free like a bird. Go out there and pursue your dreams. Let nothing stop you. Live life to the fullest, and make sure that you find happiness in all that you do. And as you venture out and carve a name for yourself in this world, just know that I am always here for you. All you need to do is call me and I will be there by your side – in the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. You will always be my baby girl, and I will always be there when you need me.
2. In your youth, you have always been the precocious little child. You saw the world with such curiosity and wonder, and I only hope that the way you view the world never changes. See each day as a learning experience. Experience each moment to the fullest. Love freely and completely, but also save some of that love for yourself. And at the end of the day, when you are tired and weary, know that I will always be there by your side to guide you and help you. You give me so much joy in this life, and I can only hope to help you find that same joy.
3. A mother’s love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity. I dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in this path. My dear daughter, in this life you will face challenges that you have never faced before. It will not always be an easy path, and yet, I want you to have the strength and fortitude to face them all. I can only hope that while you were still a youngling under my wing, I have taught you all that you needed to know to get through live. And in your journeys, no matter how far away you go, remember that I will always be in the place you call home. When you are exhausted with what live has thrown your way, it’s me, your mother, whom you can count on to help you get back up on your feet. I love you.
4. Each time I see you, whether in person or on your posts, I can’t help but marvel at how you’ve grown up to be both so strong and so beautiful. You used to be a tiny little baby who could barely crawl and speak, but look at you now – so graceful and elegant in adulthood. While the world may see you as a strong, independent woman, remember that I saw you grow up to become who you are now. You have surprised me with your wisdom, even in your younger years. And now that you’re all grown up, I can’t help but be so proud of you in many ways. You have spread your wings and flown, my love. I love you, and I want you to know that I always have and always will.
5. When you came into my life, I must admit I greeted you with a mixture of joy and anxiety. You were such a tiny bundle of joy that I didn’t know what to do with myself if I wasn’t good enough of a parent to you. But as you have grown, you have shown me what it truly means to be a parent. You have shown me what love really is. On the day you were born, not only was a baby brought into the world but also a parent who would fight tooth and nail to bring you the best life possible. I can’t tell you how much of my heart you fill. I can’t tell you just how proud of you I am. You were an incredible little miracle who has grown to become a wonderful young woman. I love you so much!
6. I can still remember the elation I felt when I found out that you would be joining our family. I couldn’t believe that I would be blessed with such a beautiful baby girl. On the day you were born, I couldn’t help but cry tears of joy. I felt like my heart was overflowing with so much love. You were such a wonderful little baby – curious and clever, demanding and strong. You wanted the world and I wanted to give it to you. You were also so sweet, and even more so now that you’re all grown up. I just want you to know that from the moment you were created to the moment you’re reading this letter, I have loved you every step of the way. You will always be my baby girl, my perfect little miracle, the light of my life.
7. My dear daughter, as you are venturing out into the world, I want to impart with you some of the wisdom I believe you would need on your journey. Without a doubt, I know that you are clever and smart, but I just thought I’d share with you some lessons that I have learned in my life when I was your age. First, love freely, but love yourself above all else. You may find boys who promise to give you the world, but always know that you can be just as capable as them. Depend on no one but your own wits to achieve what you want in this world. Second, use the gifts you have been given. Treat your body with respect, and never ever settle for second best. You are the greatest gift of all to me, and I want you to know that you deserve only the best. And lastly, when times are tough and you want to rest for a bit, you can always come home to me. You will be safe and cared for as you have always been when you were just a baby. I love you, and I wish you the best in whatever path you wish to take in life.
8. When you were born, alongside the happiness, I felt a sense of dread. With all the bad things happening in this world, I was anxious about how I could keep you safe from it all. As a helpless little baby, I did everything I could to make sure you had everything you needed. But I knew that one day, you will grow up and want to explore that dangerous world I wished to protect you from. As you’re out there making a name for yourself in this world, I am here hoping you are happy. I hope you find the path that leads you to success and happiness. And as you’re out there living your dreams, know that I am always here for you when you need me.
9. No words can describe how much you mean to me, my daughter. You are and will always be the greatest gift I could ever receive in this life. I admit that I was strict with you when you were little, but it was all due to my fear that the world might hurt you. In time, I learned that I can’t protect you from everything, and you soon grew to learn how to fend for yourself in this dangerous world. And I’m so proud of how smart and how strong you have become. My baby girl, I want you to know that no one in this world can love you like I do. I want the very best for you, and I want you to become the best that you can be. I love you from the bottom of my heart, my dear daughter.
10. To my daughter who is now a mother. I want you to know that being a mother is incredibly difficult, but not because caring for a baby is hard, but because of the constant fear that something might hurt your little girl. When you were little, I knew that I had to spend all my energy making sure you were always okay. And now you know what that is like. As you raise your own baby girl, I want you to know that your mama is always here for you. I will always be here to guide you and to give you advice when you need it. I will always welcome you with open arms when you need help raising a child, because I understand just how difficult it is to do that. My dear daughter, I know you will make a great mother because we just have to admit that you learned from the best!
Bring a smile (and maybe some tears) to your daughter’s eyes on her special day by writing her one of these letters. Of all the gifts she will receive, a sincere letter is one that she will treasure for a lifetime!