A bride has to worry about arranging the wedding and making sure that everything is perfect. As the maid of honor, you will be pulled into planning the festivities as well. Your major moment arrives with the maid of honor speech. Speaking in front of a crowd can be terrifying, and it can also be challenging to find something to say. If you need help planning your speech, we have some maid of honor speech examples that can help.
When you begin writing your speech, you should start by looking at your relationship with the bride. You can incorporate details like where you met, how you know her and a few facts about your relationship. Many maids of honor also incorporate a story about the bride or when they first met the groom. In general, you will start the speech by talking about the bride, and end the speech by talking about them as a couple.
Brainstorm things that you want to include in the speech. You may want to include details like what she was like before she became a couple and how she has changed since her groom became a part of her life. This could be things like seeing her happier and laugh more.
In your speech, you should avoid anything embarrassing. Skip the stories about when the bride was drunk or hooked up with her ex-boyfriend. Your goal is to make her big day happier and not worse. Before the big day, make sure to practice your speech fairly often. You should also recruit at least one person to listen to the speech and tell you what they think. This will help ensure that your speech is a good one and give you a chance to fine tune any last problems.
You might want to use a bridesmaid to help you rehearse the speech. The other bridesmaids will have a pretty good idea about what the bride would like or not, so they can help you change the speech. You do not have to memorize the entire speech, but you should practice it enough that you have a pretty clear idea of everything that you will say.
When the speech ends, make sure that the audience can tell. Give a toast to the couple or give the couple your congratulations to let everyone know that the speech is over with. If you need some help with maid of honor speech examples, read on.
The Top Maid of Honor Speech Examples
1. Helping to plan this wedding has been a series of ups and downs. From ecstasy to extreme stress, it has been an emotional roller coaster. All of this was possible because of the many people who have helped to make this special day possible. (Bride) and (Groom)–thank you so much for bringing me along on this journey. This day has been amazing, and there is still plenty of dancing, feasting and celebrating left to do.
2. Hello, everybody! If you do not know me, I am a good friend and the maid of honor of (Bride). We have known each other for ___ years. After all of these years as friends, I feel like I know her completely. Now, I have known (Groom) as well for ___ years. I am proud to have him as a friend, and it makes me unbelievably happy to see these two friends find so much love together.
3. Love might not be perfect, but the right couple fights to make it so. When the right couple finds love, nothing can tear them apart. The two people in front of me are an example of true love finding each other. I am so lucky to see such love in action and be able to witness this amazing day. Let’s stand now to toast the happy newlyweds and their new life together.
4. Hello, everyone! I am the bride’s sister. As you may know, we come from a zany, big, happy family. Throughout the years, we have always been their to support and love each other, but we have also fought ferociously at times. There have been a few fights and plenty of laughs over the years, but my siblings and I have always remembered that family matters most of all. Our family is a blessing that we are so unbelievably lucky to have.
When (Bride) first introduced us to (Groom), I was a bit worried—for him! We might be too zany for him and scare him away. He was brave to stick with (Bride) throughout it all, and he has amazingly learned to fit into our odd clan. He is now a part of the family, and I hope he feels that way as well. Welcome to the family, (Groom). I hope that you guys will keep our family growing and as crazy as ever!
5. As you may know, I am the bride’s younger sister. When we were growing up, I was the baby in the family. I always wanted to be like my big sister and tried to learn from her. I have to admit though, I was probably an annoying little sister. She wanted to explore the world and be independent, but I constantly tried to tag on behind her. Luckily, she set an amazing example to me. She taught me how to be a caring sister, a good person and how to share. I tried to set my own path, but I could not resist her influence. I wanted to be just as caring, smart and successful as she is.
Now, (Bride) has set another example for me to follow. She has shown me how to find a soul mate and true love in this life. She has found a guy who is her equal, and I hope that I am just as lucky someday to find someone who loves me as much as (Groom) loves her. I am lucky to have both of them in my life, and I am so glad that they found love together.
6. Hello, everyone! Thank you all for being here to today. Most of you know that I am (Bride’s) (sister, friend, etc.) If you do not know us very well, we are basically two peas in a pod. We were always in trouble growing up with our free spirits and love of adventures . . . and trouble. As we grew up, I remembered thinking the guy who wanted to tame her would be in for a wild ride.
As you know, she just tied the knot with the perfect guy. I realized that she never needed anyone to tame her at all. She just needed a guy who would love her for who she is and would accept her for all of her crazy, amazing qualities. It turns out that (Groom) is just as crazy as she is. They are fearless, strong and committed to each other. In my life, I have never seen a better example of true love. Let’s raise a glass to the beautiful couple.
7. I would do anything for this lovely lady. She is one of the most important people in my life, and I am fiercely protective of her. We have laughed together and been through good times and bad. Together, we have had so many amazing memories. I am so lucky to have had a friend like her in my life.
Because of my protective nature, you may wonder how I ever let (Groom) into her life. I admit that I was skeptical when he first showed up. I wondered about his intentions and if he was good enough for (Bride). Over time, I soon realized that he is just as amazing as she is. He would do anything to make her smile, and they are like two puzzle pieces that fit perfectly together. These twin souls were destined to be together. I could not be happier about having (Groom) in (Bride’s) life.
8. As you may know, marriages are not always happy. There are good times and bad. Disagreements and even arguments happen. I want to propose a toast to the happy couple. May your marriage be brimming with love. May you admit when you are wrong, and may you avoid rubbing it in when you are right. May happiness be the only emotion you ever feel in your life together.
9. You all probably know me from being the bride’s (sister, friend, etc.) We were brought up together, and ha wonderful parents, plenty of laughter and lots of love in our life. Over time, we have become closely knit as a family and have a close relationship with each other. Somehow, (Groom) managed to infiltrate our family.
I was skeptical about his intentions at first, but he soon changed my mind. He had a great sense of humor, a generous nature and a thoughtful personality. He was not just a great listener; he also deeply loved (Bride). When we saw how much he loved her, we realized that he would become a part of the family. Seeing their love was beautiful to watch. To the (Groom), welcome to the family. And remember—you chose our zaniness!
10. As the older sister of the bride, I have always felt a bit responsible for her. It was my job to set a good example and protect her. When she was little, it was easy. I kept her near me and protected her from harm. As she grew up, she became independent. Before long, we were no longer little girls and know we are both getting older.
After meeting the groom, I was uncertain at first. I was quite overprotective, and it took a while for him to earn my trust. Before long, I realized that (Groom) was the real deal. My little sister had found the perfect person to spend her life with. I know that they will have a happy life together. (Groom), take care of my little sister.
11. Thanks to everyone for coming here today. I know that many of you have traveled quite far to celebrate with us today. Some of you flew or drove a long distance to celebrate two beautiful, amazing people as they start their lives together. It is amazing to see so many people gathered together to celebrate this new adventure. Congratulations, (Bride and Groom)!
12. I am (Bride’s) maid of honor. Over the years, we have been through many ups and downs. No matter how good or bad life was, we had each other. If one of us was crying, the other comforted her. When one of us celebrated, we had plenty of happiness to share. Love is a miracle that keeps you going through thick and thin.
While I was initially hesitant about sharing her love with (Groom), I now realize that love is never divided. It only multiplies. Love brings around miracles and sustains you through everything. It gives you optimism and hope for the future. The love of (Bride) and (Groom) is something magical, and I am so lucky to be here to witness it.
13. When it comes to the bride and groom, I see a special kind of love. While they love each other greatly now, their love will only grow as they enter and leave the honeymoon stage. Their little gestures, thoughtfulness and gentle smiles will show how much they care in the next few years, decades and lifetimes. They are an example of true love.
14. Passion is common. Anyone can be passionate. True love is when you are comfortable being goofy together and can sit in silence for hours. When (Bride) and (Groom) are together, they are able to let their guard down. Together, they can be as goofy, silent or silly as they want.
15. Whether you believe in destiny or just lucky coincidences, you have to agree that these two people are perfect for each other. No matter how their relationship came to be, it is the time of love that happens just once in a lifetime. I feel so blessed to be along for the ride and see a relationship as wonderful as theirs. To the bride and groom!
16. When I first met (Bride), I immediately knew that there was something special about her. We had common qualities and interests that brought us together as friends. I knew that my life would not be the same without her in it. Over the last few years, we have shared many amazing memories and experiences.
Still, something was missing. When she met (Groom), I realized exactly what it was. Suddenly, she smiled constantly and seemed happy all the time. A little seed had been planted that started to blossom and grow. She was strong before, but she has become a stronger, happier person today. As happy as she was back then, she is so much happier with her groom at her side. With (Groom), she is the best version of herself. I think that (Groom) is also a better person for having her in his life. Here is a toast to both of you.
17. They say that people in a successful marriage fall in love not once, but many times with each other. Some of us are lucky enough to fall in love once. It is only the truly lucky who get to fall in love with the same person every single day, over and over again. To the bride and groom—thank you for showing me what real love is. May your marriage always be a happy one.
18. There is so much loss and sadness in the world. Luckily, there are good things in this world as well. When life tosses you lemons, remembering the good things is important. You need to have someone to hold onto amid the storm to get through the dark times.
Some of us are lucky enough to have someone to love them and hold on to them amid the storm. When I look at the bride and groom, I see two people that can weather any problems. They will stand the test of time because they can handle anything together. Each tribulation will only further show their love for each other. May your love and devotion only grow with every year that passes.
19. Hello, everyone! I am (Bride’s) older sister. When I first found out that I would have a little sister, I was so excited. I could barely contain myself when she was born. As she she grew up, she became my best friend and my favorite sidekick. Over the years, we have had many different adventures together.
As we grew older, we sometimes grew farther apart as we set out on our own paths in life. No matter what, we finally found our way to each other again. There are many times that I have missed having her in my life as much as I did when we were younger. While I will miss her even more now, I am so happy with who she has become and who she know has in her life. (Groom) is just as special as my sister. Together, they make an unbeatable pair. Congratulations to my amazing sister and new brother-in-law!
20. I know I am not alone when I tell you that I am so joyful to see (Bride) and (Groom) fall in love. Each day, their love only becomes more beautiful. It is impossible to describe their love in words, so I won’t even try. I would just like to raise my glass to the beautiful bride and groom. May we continue to celebrate their amazing love for each other as they grow together!
21. Before I start my speech, I would like to say: (Bride), you look unbelievably beautiful today. And, (Groom), you don’t look that bad yourself. Today has been an amazing, unforgettable whirlwind. You don’t get to celebrate a love like this often, and I feel privileged to be a part of it.
I also feel lucky to see their love grow over time. Being in love has made them better, stronger people than they were before. Congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. _____!
22. Hello, everyone! I am the bride’s sister. It probably wouldn’t surprise you to find out that I love my sister deeply. She is so smart, kind and beautiful that everyone around her quickly falls in love with her. She is worth the most amazing relationship and life in the world, so I am so thrilled that she met (Groom). They are so perfectly matched for each other. I know that (Bride) will always take care of him, and (Groom) will always take care of her. Congratulations!
23. As (Bride’s) sister, I am used to having her just to myself. We played together as children and occasionally fought. As we grew older, we grew closer together, and I got her all to myself. Suddenly, (Groom) entered our lives. It took some getting used to. Suddenly, I had to share my sister with someone new that I barely knew.
As time passed, I began to know (Groom) better. I started to realize that he was a pretty cool person, and I think of him as a friend now. Now that he is marrying my sister, I will have to start thinking of him as a brother as well.
24. It took me a bit, but I finally realized what an amazing bond my sister has with (Groom). I see how they look at each other and how perfect their love is. I just hope that I can one day find a love like that. I am happy to have (Groom) in my life. I don’t think that I have lost my sister; I think I have gained an amazing brother as well. Welcome to our family, (Groom). Everyone, let’s raise a glass to the beautiful newlyweds.
25. These newlyweds are so rare in the modern world. They have two hearts of gold, amazing beauty and brains. Here is to a groom and bride so rare in today’s world!
26. When I first met (Bride), we were just young girls. Even back then, I knew how amazing she was. She was one of the most generous, kind people that I knew or know today. Luckily, she has found someone just as wonderful. I am so happy to welcome (Groom) into her life and mine. Congratulations!
27. Hello, everyone! Thank you for coming here today to celebrate the love of (Bride) and (Groom). Many of you already know that I am (Bride’s) older sister. Like most older sisters, I was overprotective of her since before she was born. I was determined that I would care for her and protect her, although I certainly pushed her around at times. If someone else pushed her around though, they had me to answer to.
As we grew up, my overprotective nature did not go away. I want to back her up at school and support her through all of her friendships and relationships. I wanted to be there for her in good times and the bad. One day, (Bride) met (Groom). I realized that there was someone else who truly cared for her and wanted to protect her. More importantly, he loved her as much or more than I did.
I have to admit, it was not easy letting someone else into her life. It took time for me to realize that he would always be there for her. Each time he looks at her, you see how much he loves her and wants to be with her. While it might be hard to let my little sister go, I am so happy that (Groom) is the one she will be with. She has found someone who cares about her deeply, and I know that she will make him happy as well.
28. Hello, everyone! I am (Bride’s) sister. Since we are close in age, we always played dolls together and pretended to be princess. We both fought over who’s doll would get to be with Prince Charming. In our games, Prince Charming was amazingly smart, generous, thoughtful, handsome and kind.
Over time, we grew up and assumed that fairy tales would never come true. In my sister’s case, we were wrong. While he might not be named Prince Charming, (Groom) is just as thoughtful, smart and kind as the Prince Charming of our fairy tales. He might not have a valiant horse or a suit of armor, but he has swept my sister off her feet. I just wanted to congratulate my sister and (Groom) on living a modern fairy tale and showing all of us that true love is possible.
29. Each day, you surprise each other with something new or a thoughtful gesture. Even when times are hard, you lean on each other and provide support. Few people are lucky enough to find such love and support in a partner. I count myself as blessed just to see such a relationship in real life. Congratulations to the happy couple!
Being a part of a wedding is exciting. With these maid of honor speech examples, you can figure out exactly what to say to send the special bride and groom on their way.