Horses are one of the most gorgeous creatures in the world. Known for living decades, this creature was the reason humans could explore the Oregon Trail and ride across the open prairies. If you are getting a new horse in your family, you need to find the best male horse names for him. These horse names range from cute options to famous horse names, so there are more than enough options for everyone.
100 Male Horse Names
1. Albatross: As a harness racer, he won 59 out of 71 racers. Once he became a sire, he created winners worth more than $130 million.
2. Yeats: This horse is the only one in history to win four Ascot Gold Cups.
3. Galileo: In Great Britain, this amazing sire was the forefather of 102 Group 1 winners.
4. Llamrei: This was the horse of King Arthur.
5. Eclipse: During the 18th century, this exceptional racehorse was famous for winning 18 races in 18 starts.
6. Secretariat: In 1973, this infamous horse became the U.S. Triple Crown winner.
7. Kelso: This horse was famous for being the only five-time Horse of the Year in the United States.
8. Voltaire: In 1828, this horse won the Doncaster Gold Cup.
9. Barbaro: In 2006, this Thoroughbred won the Kentucky Derby before he broke his leg two weeks later. Unfortunately, the operations that followed did not repair the damage and prevent an infection from spreading.
10. Red Rum: This horse has the distinction of being the only horse ever to win the Aintree Grand National three times.
11. Lexington: This was a top sire in the 19th century.
12. Cincinnati: This was the name of one of Ulysses S. Grant’s horses.
13. Frankel: During 14 career starts, this racehorse was undefeated. He was the highest rated flat race horse in all of history.
14. Seabiscuit: This famous horse beat the speedy War Admiral in 1938.
15. Hyperion: This horse won the Derby and was the top sire in the United Kingdom for six years.
16. Mister Ed: This is the famous horse from the Mister Ed television show.
17. Dance Smartly: This famous horse was the second filly from Canada to ever win the Canadian Triple Crown.
18. The Duke: This horse was known for being the first and second winner of the Grand National.
19. Man o’War: This racehorse is widely considered to be the greatest American racehorse ever.
20. War Admiral: In 1937, this horse won the U.S. Triple Crown.
21. Animal Kingdom: This was the American Thoroughbred horse who won first place at the 137th Kentucky Derby.
22. Zippy Chippy: This is one of the less fortuitous male horse names on this list because this horse famously lost 100 races in a row.
23. Gloaming: In Australia and New Zealand, this amazing horse won 19 successive races. In 67 starts, he had 57 wins.
24. Copenhagen: This was the favored horse of the Duke of Wellington. He rode Copenhagen at the Battle of Waterloo.
25. Best Mate: In 2002, 2003 and 2004, this horse won the Cheltenham Gold Cup.
26. Traveller: This was the name of Robert E. Lee’s horse.
27. Iroquois: This was the first American-bred racehorse to take first in the Derby.
28. Sampson: Sampson was known as the tallest horse ever and stood an impressive 21.25 hands high.
29. Fair Play: This top racehorse was the sire of the infamous Man o’War.
30. Longfellow: In the 19th century, this was a famous stallion and runner.
31. Boxer: This was the name of a horse in George Orwell’s Animal Farm.
32. Gabilan: This was the name of a horse in John Steinbeck’s The Red Pony.
33. Aristides: Long ago, Aristides was the winner of the first Kentucky Derby ever.
34. Artrax: This was the name of Atreyu’s horse in the tale, the Neverending Story.
35. Gunpowder: This was famously the name of Ichabod Crane’s horse in Washington Irving’s the Legend of Sleepy Hollow.
36. Needles: This was the adorable name of the first horse from Florida to win the Kentucky Derby.
37. Pilgrim: This was the name of a horse in Nicholas Evans’ the Horse Whisperer.
38. Black Beauty: This comes from Anna Sewell’s novel, Black Beauty.
39. Cardigan Bay: Known as the million dollar pacer from New Zealand, this legendary horse once appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show.
40. Silver Blaze: This is one of the best male horse names from the Sherlock Holmes series.
41. Jim: This was a cab-horse in L. Rank Baum’s Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz.
42. Kingston: This horse holds the record for having the most wins of any horse at 89.
43. Barnum: Barnum and Skip were the names of the driving team in Laura Ingalls Wilder’s Little House on the Prairie books.
44. Breeze: A great name for a horse who can run like the wind.
45. Flame: This was the name of a horse in the Black Stallion series.
46. Exterminator: In American history, this horse was known as the iron horse.
47. Moonlight: This was the name of Alanna of Trebond’s horse in Tamora Pierce’s Song of the Lioness quartet.
48. Rocinante: In Miguel de Cervantes’ Don Quixote, this was the name of Don Quixote’s “steed.”
49. Peter Pan: This was the male horse who won the Preakness Stakes.
50. Trotsky: This is a brilliant play on an author’s name and the horse’s ability to trot.
51. Balius: In mythology, this was one of Achilles’ horses.
52. Assault: This male horse name was the winner of the Triple Crown in 1946.
53. Gringolet: This was the name of Sir Gawain’s horse.
54. Arion: In ancient myths, this immortal horse was said to be extremely swift.
55. Bucephalus: In history, this horse was the famous mount of legendary conqueror, Alexander the Great.
56. Glad: This was the name of a horse in Norse mythology.
57. Hippocampus: This was said to be the name of the sea horse that pulled along Poseidon’s chariot.
58. Dr. Fager: This exceptional horse was known for setting a world record for the mile that stood for over 20 years. If you want to shorten this name, you could always call your horse just “the doctor.”
59. Tulpar: In Turkish mythology, this was the name of a winged horse.
60. Khartoum: This was the unlucky horse in the Godfather.
61. President: This is a strong horse name.
62. Horse: This is by far the most obvious one of the male horse names.
63. Beau: This was the name of John Wayne’s horse in True Grit.
64. Colt: An obvious option.
65. Lucky: Use this name for a lucky horse.
66. Horseshoe: This is a clever name for a male horse.
67. Keplie: This was the name of a water horse in Celtic mythology.
68. Phantom: This was the name of a horse in the Disney animated series, Zorro.
69. Barley: Use this name for a horse who loves to eat barley.
70. Sheriff: For a natural born leader.
71. Pegasus: In Greek mythology, this was the name of a flying horse.
72. Blazer: For a speedy horse.
73. Amigo: This was the name of Cordell Walker’s horse in Walker, Texas Ranger.
74. Trigger: This sounds like a horse’s name from the Wild West.
75. Cisco: This was the name of the buckskin gelding in the movie, Dances With Wolves.
76. Phillip: In the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, this was Edmund’s horse.
77. Ironclad: This sounds like the name of a war horse.
78. Washington: Try naming your horse after George Washington.
79. Big John: Big John was the horse in the film, For Richer or Poorer.
80. Bullseye: This was the famed horse in Toy Story 2 and 3.
81. Sprout:This was the name of a horse in the movie, The Parent Trap.
82. Major: This male horse name comes from the 1950s film, Cinderella.
83. Wilbur: This is an adorable option.
84. Sterope: This was the name of the sun god’s horse in Greek mythology.
85. Maximus: This horse name comes from the cartoon, Tangled.
86. Argo: This was the name of Xena, the Warrior Princess’ horse.
87. Kentucky: Why not name your horse after the Kentucky Derby?
88. Deputy: Because your horse is your right-hand man.
89. Dover: In My Fair Lady, this was the name of the racehorse.
90. Pokey: This was the name of a pony on the Gumby Show.
91. Franklin: An excellent name for a horse.
92. Scout: Scout was Tonto’s favorite horse.
93. Buckeye: This is a cute name for a horse.
94. Sleipnir: This was the name of Odin’s horse in Norse mythology.
95. Angus: This was the horse of Merida that appeared in the Disney movie, Brave.
96. Silver: This was the name of the Lone Ranger’s horse.
97. Khan: This was the name of a horse in the Disney movie, Mulan.
98. Captain: This was the name of a farm horse in the 101 Dalmatians.
99. Wrangler: This is always one of the top male horse names.
100. Texas: Use this name for a horse who has a larger than life personality.