Congratulations! You are about to enjoy your son’s wedding and watch him start a family of his own. If you are about to go to the wedding, then you will need to make sure that your dress is prepared. More importantly, you have to find the perfect mother of the groom speech.
When your the reception starts, you and other people in the wedding party will be expected to give a speech and toast the groom. There are a number of different speeches you can choose to show your son how proud you are of him and how happy you are. Make sure to take plenty of time to prepare your speech. Before the big event, sit down and brainstorm different stories, quotes or ideas you want to include. You can talk about love from the position of the love a mother has for her son. You could include stories from when he was a child, or your own experiences being in love with your husband.
Try to avoid any topics that are too embarrassing because you want the focus to be on your son’s special day. Incorporate good memories into your mother of the groom speech. Practice it a few times in front of a mirror. You may want to ask a friend or your husband to listen to your speech before the big day. This will help you go over any problem spots and get a feel for how the speech will actually sound in front of a crowd.
We know just how hard it can be to give a mother of the groom speech. You want it to perfectly encapsulate your love for your son and your excitement over his new life. While every relationship is different, the following mother of the groom speech examples can help you get started. You can modify these examples for your exact situation or use them as they are written. You can also blend multiply mother of the groom speech examples together for a longer speech. If you think that you will get pre-speech jitters, write the speech on note cards so that you have a back up plan in case you freeze in front of the crowd.
Mother of the Groom Speech Examples
1. Even though (Groom) is now an adult, he still seems like the same little boy that I once knew. I once held him as a baby in my arms, but he changed little by little every day. One day, he was going to kindergarten. Now, I have turned around and he is getting married to a wonderful woman who he loves. He seems more optimistic and happier whenever I look at him.
His happiness started as soon as he met (Bride). Suddenly, I noticed that something was different and he seemed to be happy all the time. As soon as I met (Bride), I realized what had happened. Our son was in love. We were happy that he found such joy, and we were even happier to meet our daughter-in-law.
You never know how long youthful love will last, but we quickly realized that this relationship was different. Even before they got engaged, we realized that (Bride) would be the woman that he would spend the rest of his life with. It was easy for anyone to see how much in love they were and that they were meant to become husband and wife.
(Groom), I love how you have changed and the man you have become. I have never seen you happier, and this is only the start of many happy days. (Bride), thank you for being the reason my son wakes up smiling in the morning and the source of his constant joy. Welcome to the family.
2. As (Groom’s) mother, I cannot express how happy I am to see him get married! Few people are lucky enough to find such an amazing person to be with. This entire wedding has been wonderful, and the reception is equally beautiful. While I am sure we are all focused on celebrating (Bride) and (Groom’s) love, I cannot help but think of the future happiness, excitement, hope and joy they have together. Today is but a moment, and they now have the rest of forever to spend together in happiness.
To be married is to get a best friend who lives with you constantly. When you wake up, you see your soul mate sleeping at your side. Your spouse is the partner who supports you in bad times and laughs with you in good times. When you are sad, she makes you laugh. When you are happy, she joins in your laughter. I can say without a doubt that you two have found those qualities in each other.
As a mother, my sole wish is for the happiness of my son. I am so thankful that he was able to find such joy with his new wife. I wish the happy newlyweds a long, happy life together. I hope that you will always remember to be kind and patient on tough days. When I am old and gray, I hope that you will be even more deeply in love than you are on your wedding day.
Over the decades, I hope you learn about each other. As time passes, each new detail will be like uncovering a piece of buried treasure. You have a lifetime ahead of you to make many amazing memories together.
3. To my lovely son and his lovely wife: may you continue to grow together in love. I wish that today is just the first of many happy days as a married couple. As each day passes, I hope you learn to cherish each other more and more. May your love only grow stronger as time passes, and may you grow old and happy together.
4. It may have been quite a long time in the past, but I can still remember my wedding day in a lot of detail. The wedding was about my husband and I, but I did not get to see him, according to tradition, until the actual wedding ceremony.
As I prepared for the big day, loving family, friends, bridesmaids and my new in-laws surrounded me. Everyone was a source of support and love as I planned out the wedding and finally donned my dress.
On the actual wedding day, I knew just how excited my mother was about the wedding. I did not understand then how bittersweet it was for her to watch her baby get married. Today, I finally realize what she experienced. Time flies so quickly by us, and my baby boy is now starting a family of his own. It is with great joy and bittersweet memories that I watch you get married on a day so like my own wedding.
(Groom), I am so proud of everything that you have accomplished in life and the man that you have become. With (Bride) at your side, I know that you will be even happier, more successful and amazing. No matter what you choose to do now, I wanted you to know how proud I am of you. I know that I am not alone when I say that you two are the perfect fit for each other. I hope that you will continue to bring joy, love and peace to each other’s lives for many years to come. And, if we are lucky, I hope to someday be there when you give this same speech to your daughter or son.
5. I have to admit, I might be a bit biased. But I am sure that I am not alone when I say that (Groom) is a person who is generous, kind and compassionate. He truly has a heart of gold.
As (Groom’s) mother, it is very tempting to take the credit for raising such an amazing person. While his father and I certainly did our best to give him good values and a loving home, we are ultimately not responsible for who he is. The real truth is that (Groom) is entirely responsible for the person that he has become. It is through his hard work, his kindness and his intelligence that he has made his way in the world. Now, this person of exceptional character sits before us today. He is both a beautiful person on the inside and the outside. I consider myself blessed to be his mother. I could have not asked for a son better than he is.
Believe me, I do not say this only because he happens to be my son. I also know that he is a person who will make the world better just by being a part of it. (Bride), though, is a better person because she makes him an even better person than he already was. She brings out the best qualities in him. Since they met, he has never been happier.
When I thought that my son was happy, I found myself to be completely wrong. When (Bride) entered his life, he suddenly became a more optimistic, sunny being. Her relationship with him brought out all of his best qualities and made him into the best person that he could be. I thank her for that and for the happiness she will bring him in the future.
6. Love is truly the greatest gift that you could ever receive. When you have finally found true love, you must treasure it and never let it go away. This is the advice that I have for you today. Life will not always be easy. There will be good times and hard times as well. As long as you remember to love each other no matter what, you will get through the good times and the bad. I love you both and wish that you will have a happy, fulfilling life together.
7. Hello, everyone. As some of you may know, I am (Groom’s) mother. Our family, as you may know, can be a bit crazy. It can be odd, loud or even intimidating if you don’t know us and grow used to it. While our family may be crazy, it is also fiercely loyal. We would do anything to protect each other and love each other more than anything.
When (Groom) first introduced (Bride) to everyone, I was afraid that we would scare her off. We instantly knew how wonderful she was and how much she cared for (Groom). Instead of being scared of, she decided to accept us as her family forever. If that doesn’t show you how much she loves my son, then nothing would.
Now, I am well aware that I can come on too strong sometimes. But (Bride) held her own against me and the family. She quickly found her place in the craziness. Now, they are going to start a family of their own.
The love of a mother is like nothing else. I know just how special the love of a husband and wife is. That type of love gives you a strength that is unlike anything else. It is the light during your dark days and a treasure that must be cherished.
(Bride), thank you so much for putting up with the family and joining it. You have made (Groom) so happy, and we are thrilled to have you with him forever. Now, I would like everyone to raise their glasses to toast the happy newlyweds.
8. (Groom), you were always a child that I was proud of. Your compassion, intelligence and work ethic made you the type of son that most mothers dream about. I never thought that I could be prouder of you than I already was. Then, you made the smartest choice of your life by finding (Bride). As your mother, I am so proud of you and happy that you were able to find a loving, beautiful woman who will stand by your side for the rest of your life. I know that you will always give her the love and respect she deserves.
9. At times, it can be hard to remember your blessings in life. You focus on the problems during the day, and you forget all of the things that make your life worth living. Truly, I have been blessed in so many ways. I have a wonderful family and an amazing husband. Now, my son has brought a new blessing into our life. With (Bride), (Groom) has blessed our family with happy memories and a new daughter. We are so proud of him, and he is blessed by finding such a lovely wife.
Our entire family is so blessed to welcome (Bride) into the family. We already were so lucky to have an amazing son. Now, we have received the double-blessing of a kind-hearted daughter as well. I hope that our family will always make you feel as loved and welcomed as our own daughters are. (Bride), you are now a new daughter for me. I pray that God blesses your marriage and your many years together as a couple.
10. The first time I laid my eyes on (Groom), I was completely in love. He was an adorable little baby who quickly became a curious toddler and a precocious son. Then, he became a teenager. Before I could blink, he was a young man and off in the world on his own.
(Groom), I am so proud of who you have become. You have made your family proud in everything that you do. On your wedding day, it is with great pride and love that we watch you join your hand with (Bride’s). We could not be happier for you.
11. There are not enough words to say the peace I feel at knowing that (Groom) will be taken care of. I know that he is an adult and can care for himself, but I know how nice it is to have someone support you, care for you and spend time with you. If you are lucky enough to find someone who will stay with you through thick and thin, you should never take it for granted.
No matter what happens, I know that (Groom) and (Bride) will always take care of each other. No matter what difficulty they face, they will meet it with love, patience and understanding. I know that my son is now in good hands. He has found the perfect woman to spend his life with. For now and forever, I know that they will always make each other happy.
(Bride) and (Groom), I wish you nothing but success, love and happiness in your marriage. May your love only burn brighter as each day passes. I love you two so much. Care for and cherish each other always.
12. Looking around at the crowd of lovely people around me, I remember my own wedding day. Months of intense planning, excitement and a case of nerves that stayed through the honeymoon. Many people say that their wedding day was the happiest day of their lives, but I do not think that that is true.
While my wedding day was unforgettable and happy, it was not the best day of my life. My wedding day was just the start of an amazing life with my soul mate. Each day was happier and more unforgettable than the last. On your wedding day, I would like to wish you the same. May today not be the happiest day of your life, but the start of many happier days to follow.
13. (Groom), if I have not told you enough before, I will tell you again. You are the kindest, most honest person I know. You have enough love in your heart to share with your family, friends and your new wife.
When you were just a child, I already knew how amazing you were. I knew that life would not always be easy, but I knew that I never had to worry about you. Now that you are getting married, I have even less to worry about. With (Bride) at your side, I know that you will always have someone to love and support you. More importantly, you have managed the unthinkable. You have found the one person in the world who is just as kind and wonderful as you are. Let’s toast the future of the happy couple!
14. When (Groom) was born, I was overjoyed. He was more perfect than I could ever have imagined. (Groom) gave my husband and I some of the happiest moments of our lives. In return, we did out best to make him just as happy.
While I was not lucky enough to have a daughter, I came to terms with that. Now that (Bride) will be a part of our family, it feels like God decided to give us a daughter after all. Even before they became engaged, (Bride) already felt like a part of the family. Now, it is official. (Bride), welcome to the family.
15. (Groom), I have known you longer than anyone in this room, and I would like to think that I know you fairly well. Because of this, it was clear from the moment you met (Bride) that she would be the one for you. If I had not known her and someone asked me to pick out your perfect partner, she would have been the one I choice. She is your soul mate and the missing puzzle pieces in your life.
You and (Bride) were meant to be a couple. Your wedding day is a promise that you have made together to remain as one forever. Congratulations to the newlyweds.
16. (Groom), my son, I thought it was impossible to be more proud of you. Now, I am overcome with pride and happiness. On your wedding day, I am overcome with emotions of excitement, love, joy and gratitude. Even if you had spent a lifetime looking, you could never have found a better wife. (Bride), thank you so much for making my son happy. I am happy to have you as a daughter in our family.
17. As a mother, there are so many moments from your child’s life that remain in your mind. The moment he was born, when I held him in my arms and his first steps. Moments like these are impossible to forget.
Over the years, I have had so many amazing, fond memories of my son. From his first day of school to his graduation day, I was often overcome by emotions. You can easily imagine how I feel now as he marries this beautiful, intelligent woman.
(Groom), every time I think of your wedding, I cannot be happier. I am so blessed to be your mother. Thank you for being an amazing son. After having you as a son, I know that you will be a wonderful husband for (Bride).