Cats are adorable, but they are also silent killers. My cat lives in the forest. During the summertime, she ignores us completely as she goes into serial killer mode and kills dozens of mice. While she might be a bit destructive at times, she is still a sweet cat—when she wants to be.
If you have recently purchased or adopted a cat, then you have to find the most popular cat names for him or her. To get you started on your search, we have compiled a list of 200 of the best cat names.
200 Most Popular Cat Names
1. Kitty: This is one of the most obvious names for a cat ever.
2. Kit: I like this variation on the name Kitty.
3. McFluffy: This is the name of my cat. She had a collar with a four-leaf clover and a bunch of red fur when we got her. Plus, she was super fluffy.
4. Bella: This pretty cat name means beautiful.
5. Loki: If your cat seems like a demon or a trickster, then this is the name to go with.
6. Simba: This was the name of the main character in the Lion King. Just about any name from the lion King is a great option.
7. Lucy: Everyone loves Lucy, so this is a great name for a very lovable cat.
8. Tigger: This is the name of the Tiger in Winnie the Pooh.
9. Sophie: This is a pretty name, but you are more likely to hear it for a person than for a cat.
10. Oreo: This is a cute name for a cat that is black or white in color.
11. Peanut: I think that this would be an adorable name for a tiny, cute kitten.
12. Mrs. Tinkles: Putting “Mrs.” in front of a cat’s name will make it sound even cuter.
13. Angel: Most cats are far from angelic, so this name would be fairly ironic.
14. Demon: My sister named her cat Demon because he was always getting into trouble.
15. Chloe: This is a sweet-sounding name.
16. Smokey: This sounds like a good name for a black or gray cat. It works for a boy or a girl.
17. Shadow: This an absolutely adorable name for a black cat.
18. Midnight: This would be a fun name for a black cat.
19. Lily: Flower-based names are always fun for a cat.
20. Zoey: It might be a person’s name, but it would also be cute for a little kitten.
21. Luna: If your cat loves to gaze at the moon, this name would be great. This word actually means “moon.”
22. Tiger: She might be smaller than a tiger, but she has just as much ferocious spirit.
23. Princess: This is an adorable name for your little princess.
24. Oliver: This comes from the movie, Oliver and Company.
25. Jack: This sounds like a great name for a tomcat.
26. Missy: This is a sweet name for your little missy.
27. Molly: This sounds like a fun, old-fashioned name for a cat.
28. Charlie: Charlie the cat sounds like an awesome name.
29. Nala: This was the name of the female lead protagonist in the film, the Lion King.
30. Baby: For some reason, this remains one of the most popular cat names.
31. Coco: If your have a cat that is the color of cocoa, this name would be even more accurate.
32. Harley: This is an absolutely adorable for any pet that you happen to have. I feel
like this would be great for a girl or boy cat.
33. Sasha: This sounds like a fun name.
34. Milo: This is an easy name for a cat.
35. Toby: Toby the Tomcat would be a great name.
36. Buddy: If your cat is your best friend, then this is the perfect name for it.
37. Gizmo: This is a cute option.
38. Kiki: This is a simple name that sounds like a shortened form of “Kitty-Kitty.”
39. Jasper: This is a fun name for a serious cat.
40. Garfield: This comic book character is probably one of the most famous cats ever.
41. Max: This would be a great name for a male cat.
42. Cali: Use this for your Californian cat.
43. Bailey: If your cat is the color of Bailey’s Irish Cream, use this name.
44. Misty: This is a sweet name.
45. Mittens: Mittens is one of my favorite cat names ever. Plus, Mittens happens to rhyme with kittens.
46. Sammy: This is an easy name for your kitty.
47. Rocky: I feel like a cat named Rocky would be fairly tough.
48. Sebastian: In the Little Mermaid, Sebastian was a crab. I don’t see why it
couldn’t be a cat name as well.
49. Patches: If your cat has a lot of patches of color, this is a brilliant option for your cat’s name.
50. Pepper: This is a great name for a cat that is black like black pepper or red like chili peppers.
51. Maggie: This sounds like a sweet name.
52. Bandit: If your cat is always getting into trouble, choose a name like this for him or her.
53. Felix: In Latin, this name means lucky. Plus, it was the name of a famous television cat.
54. Jake: This is a fun cat name.
55. Lucky: This is the perfect name for a rescue cat that was lucky to join your
56. Fiona: This is just a beautiful name.
57. Sassy: In Homeward Bound., this was the name of a very sassy cat.
58. Boots: People often use this cat name for when the cat’s feet are a different color than its fur.
59. Oscar: Oscar the Grouch was a Sesame Street character, but I think that this name would be a grouchy cat.
60. Pumpkin: This is one of my favorite names for a cat.
61. Romeo: If you have a boy cat named Romeo, you should get a girl cat and name her Juliet.
62. Daisy: This is such a sweet name for a cat.
63. George: This is a very serious name for a cat.
64. Lola: This is a sweet option.
65. Ziggy: Ziggy is an adorable name for a cat.
66. Callie: How sweet!
67. Snickers: If your cat is the color of a Snickers bar, go with a name like this.
68. Phoebe: Long ago, Phoebe was actually a part of Greek mythology.
69. Tucker: Tucker the Tomcat would be an excellent name.
70. Caspar: If your cat is as white as Caspar the ghost, give him this name.
71. Sox: This is a perfect name if your cat’s fur looks like socks on its feet.
72. Socks: You can really spell this name as Sox or Socks. I feel like Sox would be preferable for White Sox or Red Sox fans.
73. Fluffy: Since cats are super fluffy, this is always one of the most popular cat names.
74. Chester: This is a fun name for a cat.
75. Minnie: Technically, Minnie was a mouse. Your cat hunts mice. Those are definitely contradictory goals.
76. Dexter: This is an overly serious-sounding name for a cat.
77. Muffin: This is one of the most popular cat names.
78. Sadie: This is a pretty name.
79. Rusty: If you have a red-colored cat, this would be a great name for him.
80. Marley: This is always a good name for a cat.
81. Simon: This is a very serious name for a cuddly kitten.
82. Salem: In Sabrina the Teenage Witch, this was the name of the cat.
83. Leo: Leo means lion, which makes this a great name for your little lion.
84. Izzy: This is a fun, silly name for a cat.
85. Caterpillar: Get it? Cat-erpillar?
86. Boo: If your cat is afraid of everything, then this would be an ironic name for it.
87. Ginger: This is a wonderful name for a cat who has ginger-colored hair.
88. Zeus: Zeus was the king of the gods, so this name would be perfect for a cat who
has a huge ego.
89. Panda: This would be such a cute name for a cat who has black and white fur like a panda bear.
90. Jasmine: This flower-based name sounds super sweet.
91. Sweetie: Just about any term of endearment would make for an excellent cat name.
92. Precious: This is another term of endearment that would be a fun name for your pet cat.
93. Sugar: Use this popular cat name if your cat is as sweet as sugar.
94. Murphy: I feel like this would be a great name for an Irish cat.
95. Frankie: This is a cute option.
96. Gracie: Cats always seem so effortlessly graceful, which is why this is such a great name.
97. Scooter: This is an absolutely adorable name for a cat.
98. Guinness: If you want to represent your Irish heritage, this would be an amazing cat name to choose.
99. Hunter: If your cat’s biggest job in life is to hunt mice, then this would be an excellent name to go with.
100. Cleo: This is a un option.
101. Willow: This is a pretty, sweet name for a very sweet cat.
102. Sheba: This sounds like a fancy, luxurious name for a pet cat.
103. Buster: This is a fun name for a male cat.
104. Mimi: This is a sweet name for your pet cat.
105. Peaches: If you have two cats, name the other one Cream. Then, you can have Peaches and Cream.
106. Dusty: This is a fun, simple name.
107. Monkey: If your cat likes to monkey around, then this name makes sense.
108. Cosmo: This is the perfect name for a cat who is out of this world.
109. Whiskers: This is by far one of the most popular cat names.
110. Magic: Long ago, people thought that cats were a witch’s familiar. Because of this, Magic would be an excellent name.
111. Cupcake: This is such a sweet, adorable name.
112. Blackie: If your cat is mostly black in color, you can choose this popular name option.
113. Cuddles: For a cat that loves to cuddle.
114. Stella: Cute!
115. Sam: An easy option.
116. Samantha: A longer, more feminine form of Sam.
117. Elvis: Perfect for Elvis fans.
118. Spike: For hardcore, tough kitty.
119. Jinx: For a black cat who seems like bad luck.
120. Eli: A simple option.
121. Noodle: Adorable!
122. Gypsy: For a cat who loves to wander.
123. Sunshine: For that rare, happy cat.
124. Junior: This is one of the most popular cat names.
125. Blue: Cute!
126. Ella: This is a pretty name.
127. Jelly Bean: This is absolutely adorable.
128. Louie: This is for a cat who loves to croon like Louie Armstrong.
129. Riley: This is a fun name.
130. Snowy: For a white-colored cat.
131. Sonny: An easy option.
132. Joey: A joey is a baby kangaroo, but it would be a great cat name, too.
133. Abby: This is a sweet option.
134. Jackson: This is a good name for a boy cat.
135. Chance: For a cat who is good luck.
136. Butters: Adorable!
137. Mocha: For a brown-colored cat.
138. Fred: This is an overly serious, human-like name for a cat.
139. Bear: For a cat who likes to cuddle like a teddy bear.
140. Mia: This is an easy option.
141. Ollie: I love this cat name.
142. Mac: For a family who are proud of their Irish heritage.
143. Blaze: For a speedy cat who is full of energy.
144. Teddy: use this for a cat who loves to cuddle like a teddy bear.
145. Nemo: Nemo was a fish, but it could be a cat name aswell.
146. Holly: Pretty!
147. Madison: This is a nice option.
148. Ash: Use this for a cat who is the color of ash.
149. Pearl: A great name for a white cat.
150. Jazzy: For a sassy cat full of personality.
151. Raven: For an all-black cat.
152. Sylvester: This awesome name comes from Sylvester the Cat.
153. Snowball: This is a super cute name.
154. Thomas: Thomas would be a great name for a tomcat.
155. Rascal: This is a good name for your little rascal.
156. Stripe: This is a good option if your cat has a stripe on its fur.
157. Penny: Sweet!
158. Olive: This is a good choice.
159. Jax: This is a hip option.
160. Storm: For a dark-colored cat.
161. Xena: For your warrior princess.
162. Tabitha: This is a sweet name for your tabby cat.
163. Hazel: Cute!
164. Ariel: Adorable!
165. Binx: This was the name of a cat in popular movie called Hocus Pocus.
166. Taz: This is a hip-sounding name.
167. Emma: Sweet!
168. Smudge: This is an awesome, creative name.
169. Isis: Cute.
170. Lilo: This is an adorable option.
171. Domino: For a black and white cat.
172. Annie: If your cat is an orphan, you can name it after orphan Annie.
173. Tinkerbell: Adorable!
174. Cinnamon: For a cinnamon-colored cat.
175. Frisky: For frisky cats or for cats who love the cat food brand, Friskies.
176. Kit-Kat: Adorable.
177. Jade: This is a pretty name.
178. Gidget: If you name one cat Gidget, you should name the other Gadget.
179. Mojo: Awesome!
180. Gus: This is a unique name for a cat.
181. Munchkin: Adorable.
182. Merlin: For an extremely magical cat.
183. Amber: For an amber-colored cat.
184. Pepsi: For a brown-colored cat. Cola would work as well.
185. Onyx: Cute.
186. Pandora: For times when having a cat feels like opening Pandora’s Box.
187. Millie: This is a sweet, old-fashioned name.
188. Logan: Nice!
189. Ninja: Because your cat is a little ninja.
190. Skittles: This is an adorable option.
191. Ruby: For a red-colored cat.
192. Rex: Because your cat feels like T-Rex.
193. Wally: For anyone who loved the movie Wally.
194. Ozzy: This was a fun name for a cat.
195. Sushi: Because your cat loves eating fish.
196. Tipper: This is a cute name.
197. Thor: Naming your cat after a mythological god is always fun.
198. Ripper: If your cat is a serial killer, name him after Jack the Ripper.
199. Banshee: Use this for a cat who can’t seem to stop crying or whining.
200. Mouse: An ironic name for a cat who loves to hunt mice. This is surprisingly one of the most popular cat names.