Studying God’s word is one of the most important things that you can do in your life. Before you start Bible study, say a prayer to ask for his blessings and guidance. We are all fortunate enough to be able to understand and read the Bible. This inspirational writing has spoken to generations of people throughout the world and helped to guide people through difficult paths in life. The following prayers before Bible study can help you guide your heart and mind as you begin to learn more about God’s word.
10 Prayers Before Bible Study
These prayers before Bible study can be used as your opening prayers. Some of them ask God to send the Holy spirit to challenge, speak and teach the Christians present. You can also use some of these prayers before Bible study and afterward. Whatever the case, these prayers can help guide your mind and light the path of wisdom ahead of you.
1. O Lord, may your ancient scriptures come alive within us. As we open our Bibles today, open our hearts to your words of truth. Help us make your words the very fabric of our lives. May your scriptures come alive within our spirits as they heal, teach, inspire, restore and cleanse our hearts. Lord, bring your words to life within our lives. Amen.
2. We gather here today to grow, learn and change as a group. As we begin our Bible study session, we ask that you help all of us to gain a better understanding of your truth. We lay down our hearts, minds and lives before you. We ask that you move among us and help us to feel safe with one another. Help us to feel safe to think, ask for help and to question. Helps us to share our life with you and grow in our knowledge of your word.
3. May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ and the eternal love of our Father come down upon us today. May we be blessed and guided as we follow a Christian path in life. May each thing we learn here today help us to grow and learn as Christians so that we may bring your light, O Lord, to the world. Amen.
4. Heavenly Father, we thank you for all of the amazing things that you have done for us today. Thank you for making it possible for all of us to gather together. Thank you for revealing your love and truth in you. We are blessed to be able to gather together and read your words. Sow your words in our hearts today so that they may grow and blossom. Help your words to take root so that we can follow your path in life. As we learn more of your teachings, walk with us and help us to live in your unending love. For yours is the kingdom, the power and the glory, now and forever. Amen.
5. Lord, thank you for giving us all the time and good health we need to gather here today. Thank you for giving us a chance to open our hearts and minds to your word. Thank you for guiding us through the darkness and toward your everlasting life. Grant us the wisdom we need to understand your teachings and to put them into practice. Amen.
6. While we may be lacking in wisdom and knowledge, we know that we can place our trust in you. When we cannot see the way forward, your light will always guide us. Help us to have faith in your teachings and to follow you in every way. We ask that you bring us wisdom through the Holy Spirit so that we can better understand your scriptures. Bless this gathering and guide us as we work to be better Christians.
7. James 1:22 says, “Do not merely listen to the world, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.” While we gather to read and learn your scriptures, we know that just reading is not enough. As we learn of your word, plant the seeds of your teaching within our hearts. As we leave here, help those seeds to grow and bear fruit so that we may serve you through our actions as well as through our beliefs. Guide us and help us to always do good. Thank you for giving us another opportunity to grow closer to you and to serve you. Amen.
8. We are inspired by the message of your only son, Jesus Christ, to love one another. He gave his life so that we may be free from sin and live in your eternal kingdom. Today, we are gathered here today to learn more about you through your scriptures. We know that reading is never enough, so we ask for your guidance. Help us to understand your word so that we may put it into practice within our lives. When we leave here today, help us to be examples to the world of your love, compassion and mercy. Amen.
9. According to Thessalonians 5:11, we should always, “Encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” Through your scriptures, we can help to encourage each other as Christians and to develop our faith. As we begin today’s Bible study session, guide us toward a closer knowledge of your will. Help us to grow as Christians and to put your scriptures into practice within our daily lives. Amen.
10. In modern life, finding time to hear your word is rarely easy. Far too often, we forget the spiritual side of life in the pursuit of the material world. We thank you, Lord, for helping all of us to find the time to gather here today. Thank you for reminding each soul that we must devote ourselves to loving and knowing you. As we begin today’s Bible study, guide our thoughts and minds so that we may grow closer to you. We pray that our Bible study session and every part of our lives will glorify your name. Amen.