When you lose a loved one, it can be exceptionally devastating. In grief and mourning, it is only natural to turn to God for love and support. These prayers for strength after the loss of a loved one can help you find guidance and support during a difficult time. Through these prayers, you can start to heal after the loss of a loved one and find strength in your faith.
9 Best Comforting Prayers for Loss of a Loved One
1. Heavenly Father, you can count all the stars and know each of them by name. In the heavens and on earth, your power is absolute. You understand more than we can ever fathom, and you bring the wicked to dust. You comfort those who mourn, and we mourn the loss of a loved one greatly. We pray that you will be our rock, refuge and fortress during this difficult time. You are our salvation and our shield. You have promised to answer all who call upon you. In this time, we turn to you to rescue us from our grief and give us hope of life everlasting. Amen.
2. Comfort me, O Lord. Embrace me with your love and shelter me from the storm as it passes by. Wrap me in your tender care as I pour my heart to you. I pray that you will calm my racing thoughts and give me refuges. Help me to find the strength to carry on and bring (Name’s) soul to everlasting life with you. Amen.
3. Lord Jesus, we ask that you console all of us who grieve after the loss of a loved one. Bring us the comfort we seek. Help us to remember all of your promises. We pray that you will give all of those who mourn for their loved ones peace. We believe that you are the resurrection and the life. Through you, we will find everlasting life. Amen.
4. Heavenly King, I watch my friends bow down in grief after the loss of a loved one. I know the pain that they are feeling and wish that I could console them in their sorrow. They find it so difficult to come to terms with their grief. I humbly ask you to guide them and give them comfort. Be their refuge as they face this new reality. Their grief overwhelms them so much that only you would have the power to give them solace.
5. Heavenly Father, nothing seems to equal the terrible loss that I feel. My spirit mourns in silence as my heart breaks with pain. All I can tell myself is that your Grace is sufficient. You have the strength to help me bear my pain, so I choose to lean on you for support. When my soul is weak, your strength carries me through. Hear my grief as I praise your name. I await the day when love shall conquer all and you shall extinguish all suffering. On that day, I know that I will be reunited with my loved one once again.
6. We praise your name and pray that you will stay close to us during our suffering. You know the pain that we are going through and are the only reason that we are not consumed by it. Dealing with the death of a loved one is never easy, but your strength guides us through the difficulties. You keep us from being crushed by the burden that we know carry. Each day, we make a conscious decision to grow closer to you. We place our burdens at your feet with the knowledge that you will help us to carry their weight.
7. Jesus, please guide my friend and hear my prayer. You know every sorrow, joy, fear and hope. Heal my friend’s old and new wounds. Help her (him) to navigate through her (his) grief through your presence. While she (he) is too lost in grief to see the light, stay with her (him). Remind her (him) of your power and help her (him) to see the new life that you bring forth into the world. Amen.
8. Father, forgive us our sins and help us to grow in our knowledge of you. As we grieve the loss of our loved one, we know that you are guiding their soul to your everlasting life. We pray that you will forgive him (her) any transgressions that were made during his (her) life so that he (she) may know your everlasting glory. Help us to heal from this grief and find renewed hope in our lives. Amen.
9. Father in heaven, we honor and praise your name. There is no one greater or more powerful than you. No matter what loss we encounter, we know that your strength will see us through. We pray that you will help us heal from our grief and find solace. Please take our loved one’s soul into your care. We wait in joyful hope for the day when we can be reunited again. Amen.