Unfortunately, death is a part of life. Everyone who is born on this earth must one day die. While we all expect that this will happen to us someday, it is still heartbreaking when a loved one passes away. Once someone dies, it feels like a hole is left within our left. The only thing that we can do is turn to God for strength, comfort and guidance. The following prayers for the departed can help you find the strength you need to get through this difficult time. The prayers for the departed can also help you ask for God’s blessings and mercy on their soul so that they may enjoy everlasting life.
1. Lord Jesus, you are our Redeemer. You gave yourself up to death so that we could be saved from eternal death. Here our prayers for the departed, o Lord. Look with love upon us as we pray for our dead brother/sister. You alone are full of true compassion and holiness. Forgive our brother/sister for any sins that he/she may have committed on this earth. Through your death, you opened up the gates to everlasting life for all who believe in you. Do not let our brother/sister to be separate from you. Through the glory of your power and your infinite goodness, bring him/her your peace, light and joy in heaven where you reign everlasting forever and ever. Amen.
2. I commend the soul of (Name) to you, almighty Father. I entrust him/her to your care. You are our creator and the source of all of our happiness. May (Name) rest in the arms of the Lord who formed him/her from dust. May all of the angels and saints gather around to welcome him/her into your everlasting kingdom. May Christ who died for humanity welcome him/her into his garden of paradise. May our dear ____ by one of the true Shepherd’s flock. We pray that you forgive him/her for his/her sins and place him/her among his chosen people. May (Name) see our redeemer face to fave forever.
3. Into your hands, we commend the souls of our brothers and sisters. During our lives, you have embraced our spirits with love and hope. In death, may you deliver us from evil and bid the departed the peace of eternal rest. The old order of the world has passed away as they join you in paradise. There will be no weeping, sorrow or pain in your everlasting kingdom. We pray that the departed will find everlasting joy and peace with you, your son and the Holy Spirit now and forever. Amen.
4. O Lord, you have commanded us to honor our father and mother. Now, I ask that you have compassion and mercy for the souls of my father and mother. Please forgive them for any sins and grant that I may one day see them in your eternal kingdom. Keep my parents close to you and hold them in the palm of your hand until I can one day join them. Amen.
5. O God, through your son, you showed us your infinite mercy and compassion. You gave your only son to the world so that our sins could be forgiven. We pray that you show the same compassion and mercy to our dear ____ who has passed away. While we grieve for his/her loss, we are comforted by the knowledge that she/he can now join you in everlasting peace. You have said that those who hope and believe in you will not suffer the terrible pains of hell. We ask that you remember your dearest servant, (Name), and bring her/him eternal joy. Amen.
6. Lord, we ask that you grant the souls in purgatory everlasting life and eternal rest. May perpetual light shine on their spirits. May the souls of all the departed who were faithful to you find mercy and joy in your eternal kingdom. May all of the departed souls rest in peace. Amen.
7. May God who created us all take our brother/sister in faith to his heavenly kingdom. The Lord formed us all from the dust, and it is to dust that we shall return. May God see fit to take our dearly departed ____ into his embrace for now and forever. May God forgive him/her for his/her sins and keep him/her among his people. For those loved ones who are left on this earth, may God bring peace and comfort during this difficult time.
8. Heavenly Father, we have gone through the devastating experience of losing someone unexpectedly. It feels so cruel and unfair that he/she would be taken from this world. We did not have time to prepare for this death, and its unexpected occurrence makes the grief even harder to bear. We ask that your grace be given to all of those who have departed, especially dear (Name). May the mourning be comforted and uplifted through your presence. While we are filled with grief, we know that he/she can now join you in your eternal kingdom. Because you gave your people your only son, we can look forward to seeing (Name) again when we one day arrive in heaven. Until then, guide (Name) and keep him/her close to you. Amen.
9. Heavenly Father, you are our source of salvation and forgiveness. We pray that you will give our friends and relatives who have departed from this life your eternal happiness. Please forgive them their sins so that they may live in your everlasting kingdom forever. Amen.
10. O Lord, we know that our lives are in your hands, but it is so difficult to lose a loved one. Each death is unexpected and tragic. We know that it is all a part of your plan, but we cannot help feeling grief. We pray that you will remain close to us as we begin mourning. Help all of those who loved (Name) to find strength in you. You are the God of mercy and compassion who comforts us in our time of need. Through you, we hope to one day meet (Name) again in heaven. Amen.
11. You are the source of our salvation and the reason of our existence. From dust we were created, and to dust we will return. While we know that we will all join you one day, it is so hard to lose someone we care so much about. In your goodness, we pray that you will grant our deceased brother/sister salvation and lasting happiness. If he/she has ever offended you, we ask that you forgive him/her for his/her sins. Through your mercy, bring our loved one to your heavenly kingdom so that he/she may enjoy life everlasting. Amen.
12. Lord, it is so difficult to understand why our loved ones must suffer such a sudden, unexpected death. We felt their love and presence so recently that it is hard to accept that they are truly gone. While we cannot understand why (Name)’s time had come, we know that it is all a part of your divine plan. We feel great grief now, but we know that you will soothe and comfort all of our pain over time. We pray that you will bring (Name) to your everlasting kingdom, and comfort all of his/her loved ones during this difficult time of grief. Amen.