Getting to know someone can be a difficult task. You’d think you could just ask them anything and you’d know them a little better. But the truth is, sometimes we don’t ask the right questions. Sometimes we ask the same old questions that don’t really tell us much about who they are. Instead, we only know them on the surface.
That being said, if you really want to get to know someone, you have to understand who they are on a deeper level. And for that, you’ll need more specific questions. However, you also don’t want to make it seem like you’re interviewing them. Therefore, you need these 60 questions to ask to get to know someone to get to know them.
- Do you enjoy your job?
Most people don’t want to talk about what they do for a living. It’s a boring question and the subject will change too quickly. However, asking them if they like their job is a whole other topic. They don’t even need to mention what it is, but by asking if they like it, you’re opening a discussion about things they enjoy.
- What is it you do for fun?
If you want to get someone really talking about themselves, then ask this question. They’ll be eager to open up.
- What type of books do you like?
First, you may want to ask if they even like books. But if they do, following up with this question will help you understand their inner thoughts and feelings more.
- Did you enjoy getting an education?
This question or asking if they like school can help you discover whether or not they enjoy learning or if they disliked the schooling process – which tells you a lot about who they are.
- What kinds of movies are your favorites?
This is another one that will allow you to get to know their tastes a little easier. A person’s favorite movie tells you a lot about them.
- Where are your favorite places to eat?
This can tell you if they like to branch out and try new things or if they prefer their comfort more than being adventurous.
- What’s the most fun you’ve had this week?
Don’t just get into a serious discussion because those cause people to shut down a bit. Ask this question and watch them light up and talk about the fun things they’ve done.
- What’s the most fun you’ve ever had?
Take it a step further and talk about this and you’ll get a better understanding as to what they consider a fun time and what they don’t enjoy so much.
- How long have you been friends with your oldest friend?
This question will help you understand the importance of a friendship to them. If it’s a really long time, you know they’re the loyal type of person.
- What foods do you hate?
Don’t just ask what types they love, but ask what they dislike. It’s a fun conversation that they’ll enjoy and you may even get an interesting story out of it.
- What’s the craziest food you’ve ever tried?
If you want to know how adventurous someone really is, asking this question will tell you. Maybe they’ve tried a ton of stuff, maybe they haven’t tried anything.
- What’s the most meaningful gift you’ve ever received?
This question will give you an insight into stuff they find sentimental and important to them that you otherwise wouldn’t just want to ask about.
- What’s the most meaningful gift you’ve ever given?
This is another way to gauge just how giving and kind they are. It’ll also help you see what they find meaningful in a gift to give.
- What is your worst habit?
Everyone has bad habits and finding out theirs can help you get to know their little quirks a little better. You may even embarrass them a little – in a good way.
- Do you want to change that bad habit?
Depending on how bad it is, like smoking, some people want to change that. If they don’t, then you know how important that aspect is to them.
- How would you describe yourself in 5 words?
Some people aren’t portrayed to others as how they feel. That being said, asking this will give you direct access to how they feel about themselves that you may not have picked up on.
- Do you like having roommates?
If they live with someone, this question will tell you more than you really need to know about their introverted or extroverted behavior and even a few habits they may have.
- Have you ever had a terrible haircut?
Depending on how they answer this question, you’ll know just how important their features are to them and if they hold confidence in their appearance or not.
- What was your favorite subject in school?
Without directly asking, you’ll be able to know if they’re an artsy person, a science-based person, or even if they’re a mix of all of the “types”.
- What would be your ideal pet?
People who enjoy dogs over a fish are very different. Find out more about someone by asking this question.
- Do you like to travel?
This seems like a typical question, but it can help you get to know someone an awful lot and open the door to more conversations like it.
- Where’s the one place you would go if you had the chance?
Find out just how adventurous and wild someone is by asking this question. You may be surprised about what you find out.
- What is your dream job?
Don’t ask them what their current job is, but what would they be doing if they could choose their absolute dream job. You’ll learn a lot this way.
- Where else would you like to live if given the chance?
Are they the type that would rather just live where they are or would they want to live elsewhere? Find out how happy they are now with this question.
- What fictional character would you say you’re most like?
If you truly want to find out the inner-workings of a person, asking this question will basically give you all the information you need.
- Has a book or movie ever changed your life?
How easily influenced are they by something like books or movies. Asking them which movie or book will also help you understand them.
- What three songs could you listen to forever?
Music speaks to a person’s soul. Therefore, if you ask this question, be prepared to learn who they really are deep down inside.
- If you could get drinks with anyone – dead or alive – who would it be?
Having drinks with someone will let you know all about them. By finding out who they would want to get to know, you’re discovering somebody they idolize.
- What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve ever done?
This is the best question to ask if you really just want to know what they see as adventurous or if they’re not really that type of person to begin with.
- What’s the shadiest or sneakiest thing you’ve ever done?
This will show you just how devious someone can be. Be careful though, they may not reveal to your this side of them – which tells you all you need to know.
- What’s something you’ve done in your past that you still feel guilty about?
If you want to discover if someone is remorseful or if they really don’t feel guilt very much (or they haven’t done anything worth feeling bad for), this question will do that.
- What was your favorite cartoon growing up?
What we watch as kids really shapes us as adults because we’re so impressionable. Knowing their favorite helps you understand them way better.
- Who was your favorite super hero or villain as a child?
This is another one that tells you about what they valued as a child and how they were shaped to be who they are. Are they good or bad?
- If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
This is another one that will tell you about their secret desires. Do they want to be invisible? To fly? To be super strong? This highlights their insecurities so you’ll know.
- What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened to you?
This is a question that will gauge someone’s level of embarrassment. This can help you know what topics to avoid and their temperament.
- What would be your idea of a perfect date?
This is something that is different for so many people but it’ll give you a glimpse into the type of relationship they’d like to have some day.
- What’s the first thing on your bucket list?
This is a really important piece of information to know simply because it’s the single most important thing to them in their entire life. So pay close attention.
- What skill would you most like to be able to master?
Would this be to speak another language or to be able to sing or dance at a Broadway level? Asking this allows you to get to know their talents and what they lack.
- What childish thing do you still enjoy indulging in?
Everyone is a little bit of a kid at heart. Find out just how childish they still are by asking this question and watching them look a little guilty.
- If you could change something in history, what would it have been?
Some may answer this right away, others may take a while to think. This shows your just how much they know about history and their passions.
- What’s the first thing you would do with a million dollars?
Some people are money conscious and are careful with their spending and others really want to indulge. By asking this question you’ll find out which they are.
- What’s something you didn’t learn in school that you wish you did?
With this question, you’ll learn just how much they paid attention in school and what they think about the education system. Those both can give you clues about their creativity, too.
- Who would play you in a movie about your life?
Find out who they think would best portray who they really are inside. This shows you what they think other people view them as.
- What’s the weirdest talent you have?
You never know just how strange someone’s talents can be until you ask this question. It’ll also let you know what they see as a talent, as well.
- Describe your ideal or perfect day.
Not everyday is going to be perfect, but asking what type of day they prefer will tell you so much about their favorite weather, their favorite activities, and more.
- What’s the coolest story you have about yourself?
Something that not a lot of people realize is that other people think there are certain things about them that are so much cooler than what other people think. Asking this to find out what they think is cool.
- What song can describe your life thus far?
Once you listen to the song, you’ll know so much about them and what their life is truly like underneath everything else.
- Are you a dancer or the person who sits in a corner at a party?
Obviously, this will show you the difference between someone who is really outgoing and someone who enjoys sitting and observing parties. It’ll also tell you if they can dance or not.
- What is your secret guilty pleasure junk food?
Everybody has one. This will tell you if they’re someone who loves sweets or if they’d prefer something savory to sink their teeth into – something that’s very important to know.
- What do you think is the scariest thing in the world?
There are two types of people with fear. Those who fear objects/animals/etc. and those who fear things that cannot be touched such as death, loneliness, etc. Find out which type they are.
- If you could visit another planet that could support life but could never return to Earth, would you?
This is something not many people would think about on their own but it’ll tell you how close they are with family, friends, and if they even value science a lot.
- What is your secret fear that nobody really knows?
Many people have a fear that they don’t voice for fear of sounding silly. Asking this question may spark a conversation that’ll tell you a lot about someone.
- What’s the one thing that can cheer you up when you’re down?
This is something you should know if you ever plan on being close to someone. It’ll also tell you how to handle a situation where they’re sad.
- Would you rather lie on a beach during vacation or go sight seeing?
Two types of people, yet again. The adventurous type and the luxurious type. Find out just who someone is by asking a question like this.
- What movie do you wish was real?
I think everyone has a list of movies ready to answer for this question and asking it will show you if they like sci-fi or fantasy based movies.
- What’s the one thing that will instantly put you in a bad mood?
Everyone has pet peeves and things that instantly make someone mad. If you want to know what makes them tick, this is the question to ask.
- If you could be one celebrity for a day, who would it be?
Some may not want to be a celebrity at all. However, most would want to and finding out who can help you better understand what types of luxuries they would prefer.
- If you were forced to decide between living anywhere else and never being able to return to your current town or living in your current town and never being able to leave it, what would you choose?
Some people worship their hometowns and would never want to leave and by asking this question, you’ll find out what they think about it.
- If you had one with that was guaranteed to come true, what would you wish for?
Find out if this person wants money, happiness, or something even different from those. This can tell you a lot about their deepest desires and what they truly want that they don’t yet have.
- Are you close with your parents?
This may seem like a strange question, but the truth is that this will affect how someone acts and treats other people. Being close with your parents makes you more empathetic than if you’re not.
Some questions are better to ask for getting to know someone deep down without making them feel like they’re in an interview. In order to get to know someone really well, ask these questions.