When someone passes on, it is difficult to find the right words to express your grief. It sounds like everything you say came out of a Hallmark card and is completely impersonal. If you can even think of things to say when someone dies, you are one of the lucky ones. Many people struggle to figure out even a sentence or two to tell their loved one to express their sympathy.
While thinking of things to say when someone dies is not easy, we can help. Our list of 50 things to say when someone dies will help you at least find something to say to express your sympathy and deepest condolences. Nothing you can ever say will actually make the deceased’s loved ones feel better. When someone passes on, the only thing that makes the grief better is time. Even then, it can take years for the individual to start recovering, and they will have memories of their loved one forever. The following list is just a place to start expressing your sympathy and a way to show the person that you are there for them.
50 Things to Say When Someone Dies
1. Know that you are in my prayers during this time of loss. If you need anything, we are here for you and are all thinking about you.
2. All you can do now is pray to God and thank him for the blessings in your life. His (Her) presence was a blessing for everyone who knew him (her).
3. I just wanted you to know that I extend my most heartfelt sympathies to you and your family.
4. The loss of someone so dear is never something easy to go through. When someone passes, it is only the cherished memory of them that can bring us a sense of lightness during a dark time. You have my deepest condolences.
5. During this time of darkest, cherish all of the amazing memories you had. These memories will bring you a sense of peace. .
6. Everyone processes tragic events in different ways. Whether you want to be alone or need a shoulder to cry on, know that I am here for you in whatever way you need me to be.
7. My family was saddened to hear of the news. Know that you are in our prayers, and we are here whenever you need us to be.
8. Ignore what everyone says and don’t listen to them. Right now, the best thing you can do is remember him (her) and heal in your own way. If you need me, I am here for you.
9. Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. We wanted to offer you our sincerest condolences for your loss. We will never forget _______.
10. I am at a complete loss for words. When I heard the news, it felt like one of the sky’s brightest stars had disappeared. I know that there is nothing I can do to make your loss easier to handle. Know that I am sending you all of my love and support. I cannot put how sorry I am into words.
11. She (he) is no longer suffering. The pain of her (his) loss is difficult to bear, and all we can do is offer our deepest condolences.
12. We just wanted you to know that we will be here for you whenever you need something. No questions asked. Expect us to call you soon, but you can also come over here whenever you need to.
13. These kinds of things are never simple to write, so it is with a heavy heart and hand that I write my deepest sympathies and condolences. If you need anything during this dark time, I will be here for you.
14. (Say nothing and just listen to the person. Your presence may provide them some level of consolation.)
15. We can never take his (her) place, but we are always here to listen and to share our favorite memories of him (her).
16. We were so saddened to hear that _______ has passed. I hope that you and your loved ones will be able to find strength to make it through this difficult time.
17. May all of the sweetest, fondest memories of _____ bring you a sense of peace and solace during this time. I hope that the amazing memories and cherished moments you had together will help to bring you a sense of comfort.
18. We wanted to extend our most heartfelt sympathies and condolences to everyone in your family.
19. I hope that all of the love and support of your friends and family will help you navigate through this difficult time. You are always in my prayers.
20. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. While ____ would have never wanted you to feel so sad, ____ also never realized just how amazing he (she) was as a human being. It is difficult to understand the immensity of your loss. If you need someone to listen, we are here for you.
21. My heartfelt condolences are with you during this time of grief and sorry. I am here for you in any way that you need me to be.
22. I wanted to offer my deepest sympathies and condolences during this time period. Just know that you are never alone. Whenever you need someone to reach out to or a kind ear to listen, I am here for you.
23. I am here for you.
24. I cannot begin to understand what you are going through.
25. He (she) was loved and respected by everyone who knew him (her). He (she) had such a big heart.
26. I hope that the support and love of the people around you will bring you a sense of peace during this time of tragedy.
27. I have never found it easy to write down my feelings in a card, but the passing of _____ brings me to attempt it. I just wanted you to know that you have my deepest sympathies.
28. If you ever want to sit together to talk and share memories of him (her), I am always here for you.
29. You and ____ will always remain in my thoughts and prayers.
30. Everyone who ever met him (her) is sharing in a small part of your pain right now.
31. Nothing can soften the blow of your loss. You are always in our prayers at this time.
32. (Try asking how they are doing and then sit to really listen to what they say.)
33. Those we love never truly go away. During this difficult time, know that he (she) will always be with you in spirit.
34. We are all grieving his (her) passing, but we can pray that he (she) is in a better place now.
35. Our deepest sympathies are with you during this time of grieving.
36. I wish you nothing but peace, strength and comfort during this time. May you find solace following your loss.
37. We may all experience losses in our life, but that does not make them any easier to bear. I am praying for you and your family during this difficult time.
38. Love knows no boundaries on earth or in heaven. Today, he (she) is looking down on us and is with you in spirit.
39. The only peace that we can find in such a senseless loss is that he (she) is no longer in pain. We cannot imagine the pain your family is going through now, but we are here for us whenever you need us to be.
40. I can wake up early or stay up late—whenever you need me, I can be there for you.
41. You have our heartfelt sympathies.
42. It would be impossible to understand the loss you feel now.
43. I am only a phone call away if you need support or a shoulder to cry on.
44. I can never truly know how you feel, but I am here to help you in any way that I can.
45. During this dark time, I am here to help you in any way possible.
46. You are never alone. If you need someone to be with you, I can show up at a moment’s notice.
47. My family and I are here to bake lasagna, share our memories of him (her) and help in whatever way we can.
48. Whenever you need someone to listen, we are here for you.
49. We may not be able to feel your grief, but we can support you and pray for you during it.
50. Our thoughts and prayers go with you and your family during this time of tragedy.