When it comes to pubic hair, it’s a mystery. Do you shave? Do you trim? Do you leave it? At the end of the day, it’s really based on what you feel comfortable with. Like anything, styles go in and out of fashion. In the seventies, it was all about being natural, while in the 2000s, Brazilian waxes (ouch) were the craze. But now, things are a mix. There are many women who wax while there are others that stick to trimming or shaving. So, what’s better? Well, there isn’t one that’s superior overall, but we’re going to show you the differences between all three styles so you can decide for yourself what you want to do.
Many people, both men and women, seem to opt for trimming. It basically gives you the best of everything. Let’s look and the pros and cons.
- There’s no pain involved. For many, the thought of having to wax makes them cringe, I don’t blame you. Waxing isn’t fun. Okay, it’s not the worst thing in the world, but it’s definitely not the most pleasant. This is where trimming comes in. You trim your pubic hair, so, you look clean and tidy, however, you don’t have to subject yourself to getting your hair ripped out of your body.
- It gives you that mature look. Pubic hair comes with puberty and obviously, if you have pubic hair, you’ve made it to the adult world. It shows that you’re a man or a woman. Yes, people do love to wax and they feel clean, however, it does remove that sex appeal of being a full grown man or woman.
- You don’t have to wait for it to grow out. You can trim your pubic hair whenever you want. You don’t need to wait weeks for the hair to grow out. Nor do you have to call your esthetician to take care of it. You can do this all on your own in the comfort of your house. So, if you’re on a budget and you don’t feel like waxing yourself, then trimming is a great option
Is there a downside?
- Personal preference. There’s not really a con to trimming your pubic hair. I mean, it’s cheap to do, you don’t have to leave your house and your groin area looks pretty neat and tidy after. The only downside is if you’d like no hair in that area. With trimming, you can only remove so much hair, so there will be hair still on your groin, it just won’t be a full out bush.
Now a full shave or Brazilian is exactly how it sounds. There won’t be one strand of hair left on you once you do a full shave or wax. Now, a Bazilian wax will wax your entire area, including your anus. Though it sounds painful (the waxing option) it does look clean and smooth. Let’s check out why you should or shouldn’t have a Brazilian/ full shave.
Why you should have a full shave/wax
- It’s smooth and sleek. It’s a beautiful feeling when you’re completely smooth and soft after a wax/full shave. Yes, it is painful when you get waxed, however, once it’s over, your groin looks completely different. If you’re considering having a Brazilian, you’ll feel completely different after it. It definitely takes some time to get used to.
- It looks cleaner. Well, anything hairless looks cleaner. Think about it. When you shave your legs, you feel like a new person. You feel sexier and more feminine, so, this is kind of the same feeling. But just because it may look cleaner doesn’t mean it is cleaner. Pubic hair actually helps to protect the vagina and penis from bacteria, so, you could argue that hair is healthier for you.
- You don’t have to upkeep it as often. If you have a full shave, it’s a different story. The hair will start to grow up after 3 to 4 days. However, if you are waxed, it’s different. You pulled the hair out of its root, thus, some hair may not grow back at all while a majority will grow back slower since it has to completely regrow the hair. This can take weeks before you start seeing hair growth.
- If you’re a man, you’ll look bigger. It’s true, you will actually look bigger, that is, your penis will if you shave/wax. Of course, when you remove the hair, your penis will just pop out. Almost as if it grew a couple inches, even though, sorry to tell you, it didn’t.
- It’s great for the summer. During the summer, shaving is a pain. You find yourself having to shave more often since heat promotes hair growth. So, waxing lets you spend the rest of the summer relaxing without having to touch a razor.
Now, there has to be cons. I mean, waxing/full shave isn’t all unicorns and butterflies. Let’s take a look.
Why you shouldn’t wax/full shave
- Ingrown Hairs. They’re not pretty, believe me. Ingrown hairs are caused when the hair doesn’t grow back normally. What happens is that is curls into the skin, causing a red bump to form. The only way to get rid of it is to take some tweezers and remove the ingrown hair. To prevent them, you’ll need to spend some time exfoliating when you shower. This will open up the pores to allow the hairs to grow out properly.
- A razor to your genitals isn’t safe. One little slip and you could really hurt your genitals. If you choose to shave, you know you’ll have to hit some angles which may be hard for you to see. You definitely don’t want to cut your genitals as these are sensitive areas. If you choose to shave, go very slowly, use a mirror and be careful.
- It’s very itchy. When it’s growing back, you’ll have wished you never waxed or shaved. When it’s growing back, it’s very itchy. Try not to itch yourself too much or you could irritate your skin even more.
- You have to let it grow out. If you want to have another wax, you need to let the hair grow out again. You’ll need to allow the hair to grow at least 1/2-inch long. If it’s too short, the wax won’t be able to hold onto the hair. So, after your wax, you’ll have to wait a minimum 3 weeks before you can consider having another one.
Last but not least, there’s the natural approach. Of course, there are some pretty good arguments on both sides of why you should or should not go natural. Let’s take a look.
- It’s easy to maintain. You don’t have to worry about waxing or shaving. Sure, having no hair is better for oral sex, but, to be honest, it’s not like this won’t stop someone from performing oral sex. You don’t have to worry about shaving, cutting yourself, paying to get waxed – nothing. It’s the easiest maintenance in the world.
- It protects you from bacteria. If humans were not meant to have pubic hair, we wouldn’t have it. But alas, we all have pubic hair for a reason, and it’s a good one. Pubic hair actually keeps your genitals safe from external bacteria. In other words, it’s trying to make sure that whatever is not supposed to be on/in your genitals stays out.
- It’s sexy. Pubic hair is sexy because it’s natural. It’s how women and men are designed. Being waxed may give you that clean look but it doesn’t make you look like a real grown man or woman.
- It acts as padding. Shockingly, pubic hair acts like padding when it comes to having sex. If you’re shaven, you can actually give your partner carpet burn with your prickly hair. Thus, pubic hair gives a soft pillow-like feeling between the two people. It makes sure that both genital areas are kept safe while allowing you to feel maximum pleasure.
Why going natural is a no-go
- It can hold scents. Now, if you clean yourself regularly, you won’t have this problem. But pubic hair, like all hair, hold scents. So, if you go natural, just be mindful to wash that area more often.
- Could make oral sex a challenge. Though it depends on your partner. Some people don’t mind, while others don’t want hair in their mouths. But, you’ll need to talk to your partner about that.
- Not everyone is accepting. At the end of the day, if someone doesn’t want to have sex with you because you have pubic hair, they’re an idiot. We all have pubic hair, but some people are so brainwashed into thinking that it’s gross or weird. If you encounter someone like this, they don’t deserve you.
Now that you know all the options of how you style your pubic hair, choose which one suits you. Remember, do what makes you feel comfortable, not what someone wants you to do.