Men think differently than woman and speak what they think. People’s choice of words can tell you a lot more about what they mean than what they are saying. As women, we put a whole lot more effort into trying to interpret their words than they ever do in using them.
We always assume every word choice has a different meaning and that can get very confusing and complicated quickly and part of that is true. Each word does have a different meaning, but that does not mean that any of them are bad.
One of those complicated word choices is the difference between cute, beautiful, and sexy. Is one lesser than the others? Does one mean he is only after one thing? Does he even mean anything different by any of them?
It turns out there is a lot more to it than just that. Here are a few meanings of all three words so that you can better understand exactly what he is trying to say when he uses them.
When he calls you ‘cute’
When a guy calls a girl cute, women tend to see it as a demeaning term. We call thing like puppies and babies cute, so we do not really like ourselves to be in that category. It is almost as if we picture them rolling their eyes at our ridiculousness behind our backs and thinking of us as children. For guys, that is not what they mean at all. When he calls you cute, he means one of the following things instead:
1. You are attractive, but not oozing sex appeal in a risqué way. Think Kate Hudson instead of Scarlett Johansson. Both are stunning women, but in different ways.
2. You are a little shy, but could be the center of attention if you wanted to. Most guys call you cute when your eyes dart away because of the way you act a little bashful. Once they get to know you though, you come out of your shell.
3. You are approachable in a girl-next-door kind of way and do not send him running for the hills when you look at him. Cute women never come on too strong and always seem genuinely happy to be spoken to.
4. You have softer features and a more youthful look, but not a child-like look. Kind of like a Jennifer Love Hewitt. Everyone loves her, so do not think this is a bad thing and means you are not pretty.
5. You are gorgeous without trying to be and you do not even care to try too hard. I always think of Jennifer Aniston with this one. Everyone wanted to be her, or be with her, but she did not even seem to try. She was just adorable no matter what she did.
6. You are a little dainty and/or ladylike. No, not afternoon tea ladylike, but maybe a cute throwback 50’s style dress and sandals. This is another one we assume is bad, but a little femininity is never a bad thing to a guy.
7. He does not know you well enough to be so forward as to call you sexy or beautiful and does not want you to think he lacks any respect for you.
8. He does not want you to feel intimidated by him which is a big one for guys. You would never feel comfortable with someone you barely know calling you sexy.
When he calls you ‘sexy’
When a guy calls you sexy, you always think that he is thinking in terms of sex and that he is not interested in you for much else. When it is someone you do not know well, it tends to piss you off that he feels like he has the right to objectify you that way. It turns out thought that sex is not the only reason to call you sexy. In fact, your body might not even have anything to do with it. Here are a few meanings he could be trying to get across:
1. You are the center of attention in any room and enjoy it.
2. You have a presence and your soul is screaming it loud and clear for everyone to take notice.
3. You are very confident but still respectful of everyone else. No one likes someone who demeans everyone around them to make themselves feel better.
4. You are driven and strong and it shows in how you stand and act.
5. You are mysterious and drip sex appeal like Olivia Wilde or Scarlett Johansson.
6. You are hot stuff and he wants to be with you. This does not mean that you have an hourglass figure and look like Jessica Alba or Megan Fox. A girl with no boobs or butt can still be sexy as hell if she is confident and holds herself right.
When he calls you ‘beautiful’
Most women know that being called beautiful is a little different. It is deeper, more meaningful than the other two. Every woman is beautiful in her own way, in her own place, but when a man starts to call you beautiful, it means he is figuring that out and he sees your place. Here are what guys say they mean by beautiful:
1. He is talking about who you are and not just what you look like or how you act.
2. You are cute, sexy, and beautiful. It means you meet every criterion and blow him away.
3. He is deeply attracted to you and is understanding that attraction. This is his way of telling you about it too.
4. You are an all-around amazing person inside and out and he sees it.
5. You have to put in almost no effort to be drop-dead gorgeous and he noticed. If he is telling your you are beautiful when you are clearly a hot mess, then he is serious about you.
6. He is thinking longer term with you and is considering you to be wife material.
7. You are girl-next-door pretty to him but still look amazing in sweatpants and a bun. Think Jessica Biel or Mila Kunis.
8. He sees that you put a lot of good out into the world and appreciates your efforts. Some of the world’s most beautiful people are not attractive on the outside so your looks do not even have to factor into the equation here.
The next time a man says you are cute, sexy, or beautiful, you can use this knowledge to help you decipher exactly what he is trying to say to you. Just be sure to remember that none of these have to do with your body and all of them have to do with who you are inside.
If you want to be sexy, embody it. If you want to be cute, show that shyness. If you want to be beautiful, live a beautiful life. It is up to you to be who you want to be. Never let someone else assign your identity that to you. That is what makes you drop-dead gorgeous.
As Steve Maraboli once said “There is nothing more rare, nor more beautiful, than a woman being unapologetically herself’ comfortable in her perfect imperfection. To me, that is the true essence of beauty.”