The language of love can be confusing. Behind simple phrases are layers and layers of meaning that you have to analyze depending on its context, when it was said, how it was said, and who said it. One of the most confusing lines is “I want you to be happy.” So when a girl says this to you, she might mean one of the following things.
1. “I want you to be happy on this day.” This is something an acquaintance or friend might say to you on a special day. For example, it might be your birthday or the announcement of some good news in your life. When your friend says “I want you to be happy,” then it’s basically someone wishing you well. Naturally, milestones like this call for good wishes, and your female friend is joining in the list of well-wishers and hoping you’re happy on that momentous day.
2. “I like you. I want you to be happy.” Has this girl been really close to you these past couple of days? Has she shown some possible signs that she might be into you? Maybe you have a super close relationship, but it just hasn’t been defined yet. When a girl who likes you tells you that she wants you to be happy, it’s a pretty subtle hint that she wants to take part in making you happy. She might not say it explicitly because she doesn’t want to seem too forward, but she might actually be saying that she wants you to be happy and that the way to become happy is if you give her a chance.
3. “I want you to be happy. I want to be the one to make you happy.” This one is much more direct than the statement above, and in a way much more romantic. She’s outright saying that she wants to be the one to make you happy. Take note that if she says this while you’re already in a relationship, it’s her sweet way of saying she wants to do everything she can to make you a happy man. On the other hand, if you’re not in a relationship, she’s saying that she would like a chance to make you the happiest man ever by loving you so well that you’ll experience absolute joy.
4. “I want my friend to be happy.” She did something nice for you. Perhaps she helped you out with a school project or she painstakingly downloaded every Metallica song she knows you like. And while you might think that she’s doing that because she likes you, she gives you this line: I want my friend to be happy. On the positive side, she wants you to be happy, so yay! But on the negative side, she just said “friend.” She wants to make her FRIEND happy. And that’s all she sees in you – the friend whose happiness she cares about.
5. “I want you to be happy, but I can’t give you that.” Oh man, it’s like that Meatloaf song: I would do anything for love but I won’t do that. Sadly, when she says this, she wouldn’t do anything for love because we doubt that she has any love to give. If she gives you this line, it’s like her way of saying that while she wants you to be happy, she doesn’t want to be responsible for it. Interpretation: she’s either breaking up with you or telling you that she’s not interested in you. Ouch!
6. “I’m sorry, I just want you to be happy.” She’s apologizing for something and you wish you knew what it was. But when you analyze this sentence, it’s going to hit you like a pile of bricks. When she apologizes and says that she just wants you to be happy, it means that she has done (or will do) something that will hurt you. And when she says she just wants you to be happy, she’s saying that this pain is for your own good. Interpretation: I want you to be happy, just not with me.
7. “I want you to be happy. Are you happy now?” Those are the words of a spurned woman. We don’t know what you did or said to get her this riled up, but when a woman says this to you, you know you messed up big time. When she says this, she’s basically saying that she has given you all the chances to become happy, but it seems like you’ve ruined it all beyond repair. So when she gives you that killer line “are you happy now?” it’s her way of saying “you’ve messed up your chances of being happy with me.”3
Did we miss any other interpretations for this line? If we did, tell us what other meanings this phrase might hold in the comments below!