When a guy asks a girl out, it seems pretty cut and dry, right? Well, it’s not always as simple as that. There are actually a lot of differences in the way that he asks you out that tell you what it is he actually means which is why I’ve done some of the legwork for you.
When you are caught off guard by his question, it can leave you tail spinning while you try to figure out what he wants. Not to mention wondering what it is you want. By the time you answer, it’s been a few seconds which leaves him just as confused. Either that, or you blurt out the first response that pops into your head and then spend the next few minutes trying to back out of your first response.
The next time you find yourself trapped in the labyrinth of what if’s and why’s, you will be a little better prepared. Guys have provided us with a list of possible reasons why that guy decided to try and get a date. Here are a few reasons that a guy might decide to take a plunge and ask you out:
1. The causal asking that means he is interested but does not want to wait around forever. He just wants to ask and know whether it is worth his time or not. You can’t blame him for wanting to get it out and into the open, can you? Nobody enjoys pining away forever without knowing if they should be spending their time in puppy love or not.
2. The too casual asking which involves a quick “you wanna hang out” or “let’s grab a bite.” This could be because he’s a little nervous, but is more likely because he’s not really into you and is looking for someone to fill his time.
3. The elaborate asking means that he really likes you because he spent a lot of time thinking about how to ask you out. These are your chick-flick movie types of asking and involve some preparation.
4. An elaborate question from someone you hardly know could also mean that he’s a creeper or that he is really only into the chasing and will disappear as soon as you’ve been caught. Romance is great and all, but you don’t want to date a guy who always strives to be the most romantic person in the world with absolutely everything he does. Trust me, it’s weird.
5. The impersonal asking that comes over voicemail or text. It gives you a good chance to think about a response, but it normally means that he is too shy or nervous to ask in person and could mean that he will have problems facing future complications with you.
6. He is attracted to you and would like to get to know you better; simple as that. There is really no dissecting this one any more than just knowing that he found something about you attractive and wants to investigate it.
7. He is wondering if there is more to you than meets the eye. He may not be overly attracted to you at first, but he wants to see what is underneath your outwards façade. Perhaps your sense of humor is amazing, or he’s noticed that you’re pretty and like the same books as he does.
8. He thinks you are super sexy and is hoping a date leads to a little late-night bedroom activity. There’s only one motive with this one and you can typically tell it if you stop and think about it for just a second.
9. He was set up by his mother who had “the perfect girl for him” and he figured “what the hell?” He didn’t have any other plans that night and decided that he might as well eat some restaurant food with another person. We’ve all been there and, although blind dates can really suck, we all go on them just to have something to do and hope it goes well enough to make it to dessert.
Being caught off guard can be a real pain so you should be able to avoid it next time with a little useful information. Just remember that you don’t have to respond right away if you aren’t ready to. If he really likes you, he won’t mind it at all when you say “give me a day to think about it.” If he blows you off, then you know what he was after anyway and it’ll be a good thing that he showed his true side before you got hurt.
Regardless of what his intentions are, be sure that you understand your own and get what you want to out of the relationship. If you find him just as interesting, then by all means, go on that date. Don’t waste time wishing you did and looking back on the one that got away. Enjoy!