Here we are again trying to decipher the male mind. I know, I know, it’s impossible. That’s because our brains are wired completely differently. No matter what goes through our brains, it passes through our emotions first. Men don’t have that problem. They don’t have to attach emotions to anything which is why they can watch movies with terrible stuff in them and not feel sad or sick at all.
Because of the differences in our brains, men have the luxury of being able to say things without thinking too hard about them. They can just blurt out whatever pops into their minds because they don’t care how it will be taken or if it will hurt anyone. And even if it does, they can spit out an apology without even feeling bad and go on about their business.
So, what does all this mean for you? It means that he doesn’t assign a meaning to too much of what he says and you need to know that before you get carried away. If he says you’re hot, he doesn’t mean that he wants to date you, it may just mean that he thinks you look good at the moment. So, what about when he sends you XOXO? Does that mean anything? Does he even know what it means?
I went out to answer our questions and polled some guys about why they would send a girl XOXO. I mean, hugs and kisses pretty muchly means that he’s into you, right? It turns out, it may not mean that at all. Take a look at the answers they gave for reasons to send hugs and kisses, or XOXO.
1. He is trying to feel cool. Of course, this is typically a younger guy in school still who isn’t quite sure if he should use acronyms or not. He has seen them around and thinks that all of the cool kids are doing it, so he wants to too. If that’s the case, he won’t pay you very much attention and will always be looking around the room while you’re talking to him. Don’t get too attached to him because he won’t stay around.
2. He is overly affectionate with all of his friends and sends them to everyone when he is in a good mood. You can playfully ask him if he even knows what that means and if he sends them to everyone. If he responds that he does on both accounts, then it’s just his nature to be silly. Don’t read too much into his XOXO because he didn’t think that hard about sending it.
3. He is your best friend and is just a fun-loving guy when it comes to you. It is his ways of saying he loves you in a brother kind of way. Every girl needs at least one best guy friend to have her back and love on her in a platonic way. If you have got that guy, then you are lucky because they’re hard to come by.
4. He is flirting because he likes you. If he knows what it means, and doesn’t send them to everyone, the he is into you. You should be able to tell by the way he acts when he is around you. If he’s bashful, or flirty, then he is interested in a relationship. If he talks casually and doesn’t keep his attention on you, then he’s not interested.
5. You are dating and he is showing his affection for you. Honestly, guys rarely ever send XOXO, so if you’re already together and he did, then he’s got it bad. You have got him hooked and he’s letting you know it.
The next time a guy sends you XOXO, you’ll know exactly what those hugs and kisses actually mean. No one likes guesswork, so it’s great that these guys took the time to answer our questions. If you think he’s into you, send him some XOXO’s back and see what happens. You can always claim that you were just teasing him if he isn’t interested. His ignorance is your bliss.
If he is into you and you wish he wasn’t, let him know. It’s always scary to risk a friendship over a relationship try so you can just tell him that you value his friendship too much to date him. Or, you could go with the old faithful play and ask him how to ask a guy you like at work out for a date. He couldn’t possibly miss the clue there.
Remember that some of the best, longest-lasting relationships start out as friends, so be nice when you tell him you aren’t interested in case you want to venture down that road later. Besides, you don’t want to lose your bestie over some XOXOs.